Big difference between 720p and 1080p?

Enjoysmoviesandgames

Established Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering for when I buy my new lcd 46"-50", make undecided, does it need to really be 1080p or does it really not make a hige difference over 720p?

Cheers.

I was just wondering for when I buy my new lcd 46"-50", make undecided, does it need to really be 1080p or does it really not make a hige difference over 720p?

Cheers.

Depends, are you going to be using a HD-DVD player? If so, 1080p is definitely the way to go. As for the games, there are only a few 1080p native games out there, but saying that, some games look stunning when upscaled to 1080p (such as DOA4, Gears, Dead Rising etc.). As you're going for a 46" minimum display, i'm going to recommend you get a 1080p panel (I had a 42" 720p panel and it was fairly "blocky" as the pixels were so big!).

Technically, there is a huge difference (1080p ready screens have more than double the pixels). But as pointed out before, there are only one or two native 1080p games on the 360, but you can upscale to 1080p via the VGA lead. As you are going for 46" + screen size, then go for 1080p. Anything under 40" and 720p is absolutely fine. In fact 720p still looks great on my 1080p screen. But 1080p ready LCD screens are cheap enough now for most peoples budgets. Just make sure you get one that can accept 1920*1080 through the PC input as well as HDMI or you will end up with big borders around the game screen.

Thanks lads.

It`s for the 360 (Premium) and prob some HD-DVDs.

As I dont have the Elite (and no HDMI), what inputs must I ensure my display accepts? I was planning to use component?

Thanks lads.

It`s for the 360 (Premium) and prob some HD-DVDs.

As I dont have the Elite (and no HDMI), what inputs must I ensure my display accepts? I was planning to use component?

No, not component! Sorry, in my experience component has been very poor, and i've used a good few tv sets. You should look for a tv that does 1920x1080 (eg 1080p) through it's VGA port, you'll get crisp colours, sharp visuals and 1:1 pixel mapping with no overscan, what more could you ask for :rotfl:

Have a look at this, it's all down to your viewing distance. 42" screen, 1080p becomes beneficial under 8ft ish. Bare in mind, very few games will be native 1080p.

resolution_chart.png

It all depends on the telly nothing else really. On my samsung, vga is poor with colours and sharpness yet component is miles better.

My advice is try all the inputs you have and make your own decision.

Thanks for the answers guys.

I was planning on buying the Samsung 46" lcd LEM86/87.

Would this do all I require of it then I take it?

No, not component! Sorry, in my experience component has been very poor, and i've used a good few tv sets. You should look for a tv that does 1920x1080 (eg 1080p) through it's VGA port, you'll get crisp colours, sharp visuals and 1:1 pixel mapping with no overscan, what more could you ask for :rotfl:

Strange. Personally I never had any problem with a component connection for 360, and I have used it on three screens now. Maybe not as sharp as the VGA connection, but colour was certainly never an issue.

Strange. Personally I never had any problem with a component connection for 360, and I have used it on three screens now. Maybe not as sharp as the VGA connection, but colour was certainly never an issue.

I've used a Wharfedale LCD26HDMI, an LG 32LC2DB, a Samsung 26", An LG 42LC2D, a Hannspree XV JT01-32E2-000 and an Elonex Hyundai LNXTY-32F and they have all suffered from "component blur", terrible overscan (LG are pathetic when it comes to this, Elonex is fine though), and VGA has won hands down every time.

I just got Bioshock and compared 720p vs 1080p on 46 inch panel (Xbox 360 Elite connected via HDMI). Yes there is a difference; 720p looks pretty good, until you switch to 1080p.

I just got Bioshock and compared 720p vs 1080p on 46 inch panel (Xbox 360 Elite connected via HDMI). Yes there is a difference; 720p looks pretty good, until you switch to 1080p.

Bioshock is rendered in 720p so all you're testing there is which is the better scaler, Xbox or your tv.

Speedsix that diagram is superb. Ive been banging on about viewing distances to any potential LCD tv buyer that Ive spoken to, what you posted makes it much easiler to explain.

Speedsix that diagram is superb. Ive been banging on about viewing distances to any potential LCD tv buyer that Ive spoken to, what you posted makes it much easiler to explain.

Yeah it's surprising how big/close you need to be to get any benefit of higher resolutions.

Hi there don't mean to be rude or anything. It might look superb but its actually just one persons opinion. Lots of people in the LCD\Plasma forums would disagree completely with that.

Its more down to the quality of your display than the number of pixels.

Obviously 1080p will look better than 720p on the same display device. But 720p on a decent display could quite easily look better than 1080p on a cheap display device.

And thats the whole point. You want the best picture for your money, and that "graph" does nothing to help except that it looks pretty and interesting.

Just my POV though obviously ;) But its based on owning a few different plasmas, 1 good one and 2 poor ones. They all have their strengths and weaknesses and one thing I've learnt is the number of pixels, unless your comparing exactly the same model but with a larger screen size and hence more pixels. Say a 720p panasonic to a 1080p panasonic in the same generation.

Hi there don't mean to be rude or anything. It might look superb but its actually just one persons opinion. Lots of people in the LCD\Plasma forums would disagree completely with that.

Its more down to the quality of your display than the number of pixels.

Obviously 1080p will look better than 720p on the same display device. But 720p on a decent display could quite easily look better than 1080p on a cheap display device.

And thats the whole point. You want the best picture for your money, and that "graph" does nothing to help except that it looks pretty and interesting.

Just my POV though obviously ;) But its based on owning a few different plasmas, 1 good one and 2 poor ones. They all have their strengths and weaknesses and one thing I've learnt is the number of pixels, unless your comparing exactly the same model but with a larger screen size and hence more pixels. Say a 720p panasonic to a 1080p panasonic in the same generation.

Ermmm but that graph is based on what the human eye can resolve and at what distances (taking screen size into account). Regardless of the quality screen etc that graph is'nt related to the telly but to US.

Anyway with a Plasma you get 'bleed' in that between each 'pixel' there is diffusion so a plasma will produce a more enjoyable picture when viewing lower resolution pictures that are scaled up to the tvs natural res and will look fine at higher resolutions. I still don't like the idea of hooking up plasma tvs to computers and consoles though.

Ermmm but that graph is based on what the human eye can resolve and at what distances
Making it pointless again....our eyes are all different. The graph is quite a good guide...but no more than that.

Making it pointless again....our eyes are all different. The graph is quite a good guide...but no more than that.

Yes but in a lot of ways this subjective quality thing is like same argument you get with speakers and cable quality and power cables.

I personally know that actually hearing the the difference in quality between
a signal thats gone through a decent bit of ordinary three core thats being made into a twisted pair and a £100 pound interconnect is naff all due to the sensitivity of our hearing. However in this case our eyes are broadly speaking sensitive enough and as the man says if everything is at the same quality levels then the difference in resolution will come through.

Yes but in a lot of ways this subjective quality thing is like same argument you get with speakers and cable quality and power cables.

I personally know that actually hearing the the difference in quality between
a signal thats gone through a decent bit of ordinary three core thats being made into a twisted pair and a £100 pound interconnect is naff all due to the sensitivity of our hearing. However in this case our eyes are broadly speaking sensitive enough and as the man says if everything is at the same quality levels then the difference in resolution will come through.

True mate, your last sentence said it all. Its just that a lot of people would thing 1080p (yumyum). 720p (yuck). When its not that simple...You might know that and people in the plasma\LCD forum might. But people in this forum don't. They generally assume 1080p screen has to be better than 720p screen. But its not that simple, and that graph might make someone chose a cheapy 1080p over a 720p screen.

The image processing of the display itself is just as important as the resolution. Personally would chose a quality 720p set over a 1080p cheap and nasty, no matter how close or far I was sitting.

Just trying to get that across in plain and sharp language. Although my old habbit of appearing as if I think im always right crops up when i do that. :suicide:

Look at the figures, the graph is more likely to put people off 1080p as with the most commom screen size/viewing distances, it's of little benefit.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom