Big decison ( 52X3500 or LX5080D)

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by QGA, Jan 23, 2008.

1. QGA

QGA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone !!
    So here's my dilemma :
    I currently have a 52X3500 and i'm very fed up with the motion blur of this set.So my store will let me swap it with an another model.
    So i decided to buy a LX5080D.But......
    I'm seeing a little bit of yellow streaks with bright objects on dark background (for example ,if you've have seen the newest Pioneer blu ray reel,I'm speaking about the samurai with a bright silver sword against a dark wall).
    Very unfortunate because i absolutely love the Kuro's picture.
    I'm a big gamer and i love high def media too (Blu ray and HD DVD) so i'm litterally torn betweeng keeping the Sony or to go with the Pioneer.
    Tomorrow is the last day for the exchange so :
    -Does the "yellow trails" disappear with time ?
    -Am i mad to buy the Kuro to play games on it if i see these trails ?
    -Did anyone like me seeing the effects in store bought this set and being happy with it ?

Sorry for this long post but i will sure have a nervous breakdown rapidly ;)

2. Waffles

Waffles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I can only offer my experience - I've had a 40" w3000 and now i'm using a 4280 kuro - not quite on the same level as yours but I can relate to your pain!

I'm a big gamer and I was never quite happy with the LCD - motion blur, viewing angles and sd image all are a pretty big detriment. The Kuro is much better - looks better on games too but I also see this phosphor lag - even on non high contrast scenes it seems my brain tricks me into thinking i see it when white streaks past.. basically its going to be a choice of the lesser evil - i hear that the phosphor lag lessens a bit as the panels age but never vanishes. You've tried both the top of the range sets - there is nothing else out there that will compare really, you say yourself you don't like the motion blur or the phosphor trails but does the other advantages of the plasma make up for it? To me they do. Go back to LCD now and you'll be picky about more than just the motion.

I think the problem is i'm so used to motion blur on lcd's after pc gaming etc for a long time but this effect is different, I think i'll get use to it after a while especially after going from plasma > lcd > plasma you can weigh up the pro's and con's better.

3. Waffles

Waffles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    On another note - I find it strange to comprehend that many people claim not to see these effects.. don't quite understand the science behind that!

4. QGA

QGA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot Waffles for your useful infos.:thumbsup:
    I think i will make the jump to the Kuro and i hope these "trails" will not hurt my eyes too much :)

5. Waffles

Waffles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    From all points of view it seems that the LX50 blows that sony out of the water so i think its a fine choice! Having an uneven screen or not being able to use the lower rez consoles without your eyes bleeding isnt worth the high price point of the sony, after all if you spend that amount of money you expect no weak links really. The fringing is noticable but the pioneers seem to have it least - I found it very distracting on the PZ70 I had before but on the pioneer I havent been bothered by it.

Enjoy I'd say.

6. QGA

QGA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last question Waffles :

How's the brightness compared to your precedent Sony ? :)

7. Waffles

Waffles
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'd be lying if i said it was as bright, My sony was flashbulb bright if needed but its perfectly watchable in the day and has a nice vivid picture to it that doesnt hurt your eyes at the same time. I've been playing through mass effect on the xbox and it looks great!

8. eric pisch

eric pisch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +754
    i guess we are all different

never seen it on my kuro, however the lag on a LCD drives me insane ...

some ppl cant hear the "buzz" plasmas make i can, but big speakers cure that :devil: