Big city hell

One big problem of the NHS is that they don't admit it when things aren't working, I have seen this far too often.
My health board have got burying their managerial heads in the sand down to a fine art, even when independent reports have criticised certain aspects to the point that they have concluded they are not fit for purpose, these reports are ignored or accused of using out of date data so beloved as an excuse by those in charge everywhere.

It certainly is not just a Tory thing, in my health board they are paying 60 million pound a year rent for fifteen years for a hospital built under PFI sanctioned by the then Labour government, a hospital which can cost staff £35 for four shifts to park even at night when the carparks are empty.
What's that in percentage terms? My local Hospital Trust is paying just over 7% of it's income a year on PFI payments. This might be higher than the average mortgage rate but not many people ask the vendor to build a custom made house.

If I had spent £180 million on a hospital and then had to pay a further £1.6 billion on rental fees I would want something that was not beset with faults and poor workmanship. Being in the building trade most of my life I probably see things that others might not but generally the standard of work is quite poor.

Last edited:
To the OPs original point. A lot of major cities are going down the toilet and the country is overall.

And it is going to take decades to reverse that.

Just read a new way in which criminals are targeting people/cars.

From a local neighbourhood forum....
A resident has messaged but wishes to remain anonymous: a tracker has been found on their car, the police advise this is so thieves can locate the car easily or track to see when their house is empty. Cases like this have been reported across Birmingham.

I can only guess the resident got lucky finding it.

A year ago I posted this thread and since then I'm sure Birmingham has become even worse. Some of the stuff that goes on is beyond belief. Near the top of the list is the huge gang of school kids with machetes fighting at Star City the other week.

....sadly, have to add my home town, Croydon, which has 100% gone down the pan in recent years. :suicide:

Croydon and surrounding area is where the local shipments of antisocial, unemployed and wannabe gangsters are coming from to be housed in my local area in Kent right now.

Watching groups and talking to locals in many area's of Kent (and that's not limited to poor estates either) it is beginning to become a really serious issue that is being ignored by local government.

The cutbacks in police, schools etc. after the banking collapse still haven't been reversed.
Now we have Brexit to deal with so there will be even more delinquents because they can't see a future.
A generation lost.

The cutbacks in police, schools etc. after the banking collapse still haven't been reversed.
Now we have Brexit to deal with so there will be even more delinquents because they can't see a future.
A generation lost.

Are you seeing or hearing of the mass movement of peoples in or around the Bournemouth/Christchurch areas?

Pretty much all of Kent and places I visit in East Sussex are suffering now :(

The government has made Dorset a target area for new houses, it is out of control.
I am glad I chose where I am, within two thirds of a mile there is nowhere to build.
A number of bungalows have loft conversions, that's it.
It was a consideration when I bought this place a few years ago.

Fuming! It's no wonder some of the youth of today are out of control.

Unlucky to be caught after committing a crime but it didn't matter as he was let off anyway. Pathetic!

Yesterday afternoon, a gang went into a busy Birmingham city center with machetes and stabbed 2. In recent carjackings a man was hit in the head with a hammer for his car, a 75 year old was hit over the head with a gun for his car, a man was shot with a shotgun for his car and a house was raided by 6 with knifes and burgled and the car taken.

Glad I moved out of Dudley and into Telford.

Can't believe the difference. Of course you will always get the odd wrong 'un where ever you are but its just a better life here so far and we only moved at the end of August.

Wife is a teacher and she said she has only had to raise her voice once in this term and no fights at her new school.

At her old school there was a fight a day at the very least.

Moving to a mid sized town in East Dorset, the thought of going back to Bristol makes my skin crawl.
Not that I could afford it the way the London commuters have pushed prices up.

Around here the only crime is drink driving which is standard in rural France. Besides that it's so quite some days you could walk up a street butt naked and never encounter a soul..

Besides that it's so quite some days you could walk up a street butt naked and never encounter a soul..
Although if you looked behind you, you would find @HaRd2BeAr following you quite closely.

Around here the only crime is drink driving which is standard in rural France. Besides that it's so quite some days you could walk up a street butt naked and never encounter a soul..
If you walked up a street butt naked I can imagine that the street would empty ahead of you :devil::laugh:

We used to say that you could tell when the Summer holidays were here due to certain types of robberies, violence and vehicle crime happening when the wrong types from the city took their holidays in Kent.
Now it happens all the time and the type of crime is becoming more like inner cities.

Those that have moved away from this are at their wits ends because they are now living across the road from the anti social families they thought they had escaped from and the locals, like me are feeling more and more insecure and like an outsider in their own villages/towns that they were born and raised in.

This mass movement of people from inner cities to the surrounding country/countryside is an absolute disgrace and will change these area's for the worst for ever imo :(

Telford and Lichfield are the 2 so far on our list for a possible move to next year.

You get a lot for your money in Telford can't speak for Lichfield.

You won't look back.

Dick swinging...

Used to live in London, 20 years ago I thought I could never live anywhere else. Now, I wouldn't go back unless forced to. It is a cesspit filled with the world's filth.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom