• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Big Brother not in HD

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
Why not?! You would have thought the last season ever would be broadcast in HD. What a let down.

:thumbsdow

Coop995

Established Member
Wasn't it being broadcast on E4HD last night? I didn't watch it myself so not sure if it was upscaled or native. Just remember seeing it in the EPG.

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
Ye dirty git.....HD showers and sex scenes is all your after.:laugh:

:laugh:

Because I....I mean the mrs will be watching it a lot, I'd...i mean she would prefer it to be in the HD.

Boooo

rickinyorkshire

Distinguished Member
Wasn't it being broadcast on E4HD last night? I didn't watch it myself so not sure if it was upscaled or native. Just remember seeing it in the EPG.

Hmm..didn't check E4HD but it's deff not HD on 4HD.

StevieBuck

Prominent Member
Perhaps they could've done the live shows (launch night, eviction interviews, etc) in HD.

I don't imagine the smaller remote cameras they use around the house are HD capable though. If so, then I couldn't see why they'd want to spend money upgrading just for the last series. I guess they would've had to change out that TV control unit (or whatever its called) you sometimes see in the background of the studio to handle HD video feeds as well.

HDCriticalFan

Established Member
Derek just beat me to it, but yes, it only "recently" went widescreen. Given that 16:9 was almost commonplace when BB started ten years ago, that is unforgivable.

Also, many of the shots are well below broadcast standard anyway (where they use miniature cameras) ... not to mention poorly lit (or even IR) shots. None of this lends itself to HD.

Finally, isn't this the last ever BB ? Why on earth would they expensively "tool up" to future-proof a show which has no future. I'm not even sure that it is feasible to turn around an HD programme in the time they have available each day.

Regards

derek500

Prominent Member
Derek just beat me to it, but yes, it only "recently" went widescreen. Given that 16:9 was almost commonplace when BB started ten years ago, that is unforgivable.

Even more unforgivable was that the live shows had 16:9 screens everywhere, showing the feeds in 'stretchyvision'.

HDCriticalFan

Established Member
I'm always amazed when companies whose business is actually TV can't get this sort of thing right.

Quite often on BB we see them use the plasma screen to show the housemates something ... in the wrong aspect ratio :eek:

There can be no excuse for this. They have complete control of everything - often they are even showing material they have shot themselves !

You also see it when a presenter is showing something on a TV during a show. Although we only saw a tiny peek, I'm pretty sure that at least once during the "excellent" Richard Hammond Stirling Moss interview, we saw them watching an old 4:3 recording s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d to fill a widescreen TV. Didn't anybody think to lean forward and say "Hang on a bit, let me just turn off this distortion and select 4:3 on the TV menu" ?

Regards

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom