Big brain help needed with zone 2 stereo audio whilst maintaining 7.1 in main zone. Details in post.

Mizzymooma

So I have overcome the issue of my output device detecting the lowest audio capability in my setup. I have used a downscaler with manual EDID override to trick my Shield/xbox into sending 7.1 to my receiver despite having a stereo connected TV in zone 2. But now of course I only get L&R channels being heard in zone 2. No speech as there is nothing to portray the centre channel.

So I am looking for a device/solution to down mix the 7.1 audio into stereo that can sit in the setup and send stereo over hdmi to the zone 2 TV's.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can make this possible. Thanks I'm all out of ideas and Google searches!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
A second shield box is the only viable cost effective solution - unless your primary AVR has a Zone2 HDMI Output and you are happy to add a second AVR in Zone2.

Joe

Mizzymooma

A second shield box is the only viable cost effective solution - unless your primary AVR has a Zone2 HDMI Output and you are happy to add a second AVR in Zone2.

Joe
So, could I in theory run a second receiver in my second room if I used the pre outs on the x3500? If I bought long rca cables and fed them through to zone 2 could I keep my 7.1 main room setup and have a smaller 3.0 setup in the second room without the amp downmixing my main room to stereo when I'm watching a movie in both rooms? This would be expensive so I say in theory but i'm looking at all options. The hdmi trunking is already installed for the kitchen TV so adding 3 audio cables in there is technically feasible.

Jamie

Distinguished Member
No, the second amp would connect via HDMI zone 2, that way both zones have the same audio capabilities. My zone 2 is only 2.1 but the older Denon I have will downmix as appropriate. It does mean you'd need at least 2 speakers in the kitchen bit pretty much anything would undoubtedly be better than the TV speakers so worth it IMO

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Which is the best decade for horror movies?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom