1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big birthday - big upgrade

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Pete Delaney, Jan 22, 2005.

1. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :cool:

I have a sanyo Z1 with about 50 hours on it. I did not use it much as it was not permenantly installed. Now i've moved house and the PJ is on the wall and gets more use. It has rekindled my interest in big screen viewing and there are lots of products on the market that have dropped in price...I would love to know if I would notice a huge difference if I went for a H57 or a Z3...basically a sub £1800 price tag lcd or dlp... I would sell the Z1 to help pay for the new one but I do not know if it would be worth doing it or not? :rolleyes:
    DLPs seem to be coming out with more colour segments, 6 segment wheels are common place now and some have 8, plus the price of dlps is getting closer to lcd, so which should I go for?
    Has anybody walked this path before? Any advice or experience would be great! :hiya:

2. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227
  3. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Piers,

I think I will have to audition (and sort out my temporary screen). A 'huge', difference sounds, well.....HUGE :zonked: I wonder if this model will accept an input for Sky boxes once they start to transmit HD pictures?

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    The H57 is HDCP-compliant so it should be.

Have you checked whether you're susceptible to rainbows? Don't be mislead about 8 segment colour wheels .. AIUI the extra 2 segments are not prime colours, I think they're sometimes an extra dark green or perhaps white, the main point though is that the frequency of the modulation is the same as with 6 segment wheels because the speed of the wheel determines this.

With this in mind, the H57 is a 4x wheel:

5. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +227

and it handles both 720p and 1080i

Piers

6. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know about rainbows, I have never seen a dlp pj running :rolleyes:
    I guess it's another sensible reason not to make a purchase without checking out the picture first.

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,017
    The Mitsubishi HC900 sounds promising - similar price to the 5700 but with more contrast. It has an iris and can produce up to 4000:1 CR. That would be uncalibrated I would think, but I would expect 2000:1 or more real world contrast in a calibared state.

The Sony HS51 is within your budget and sounds like a good LCD with 4000:1 genuine (calibrated) dynamic contrast, and apparently no vertical banding.

Check warranties too, as I think both Infocus and Sony only have a years warranty with them. Optoma and NEC have 3 years warranty.

Edit - cine4home measured 1900:1 without the white segment, and 2200:1 with. The colour wheel is optimised to balance the lamps colour output (less red and green than blue), so I don't know if much more contrast can be achieved with a lens filter.

Gary.

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It's certainly very important for you to know whether rainbows will affect and and if so how badly before buying a DLP.

9. Pete Delaney

Pete Delaney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,

Gary has come up with a few models I had not heard of so I guess it's time to start doing my homework. Still the big four zero is about 9 weeks away....that's 9 weeks of wife brain washing time :devil:

10. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,017