1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big Bad Voodoo Daddy

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by NinjaKi11a, Apr 2, 2005.

1. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently got well into Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and have bought three CDs (one is the Cherry Poppin' Daddies, who I think are the same(?)). I would now like to buy more of this sort of music - perhaps some of the original stuff. What category would it come under - swing, jive, bigband? Can anyone recommend anything similar please. I've heard a couple of Cab Calloway songs which sounded good: is this the kind of thing I'm looking for?

2. lovemunkey187

lovemunkey187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Film
    Soundtrack

Also try most of the stuff by The Rat Pack(Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin etc)

3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I don't think Cherry Poppin Daddies are the same band as BBVD. I think they're better and great live. If you've not got it then buy the Zoot Suit Riot album. It's a comp of all the best stuff from the first 3 records plus some new (at the time) stuff.

You should also check out a band called Royal Crown Revue. You may know them from the soundtrack to The Mask. Mugzy's Move or Caught in the Act (live) would be a good place to start.

4. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the help guys. I've ordered the Swingers soundtrack - it looks promising. I'll try the other recommended stuff and I'll also look into getting some more Cherry Poppin' Daddies.

I also heard of a band called the Brian Stetzner Orchestrer (or something like that). Any ideas?

5. Gav_2000

Gav_2000
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, Brian Setzer (the guitarist from the Stray Cats) had an orchestra of about 17 people for a few years producing nu-swing stuff like BBVD. (I think nu-swing was the American term for it anyway).

I found Brian Setzers stuff less consistent than BBVD as it was him (the star) with a backing orchestra whereas BBVD was more about the whole band.

I think he's dropped the orchestra now and may even be back with the Stray Cats. I did read somewhere that touring with a 17 member orchestra was incredibly expensive so maybe he couldn't afford it anymore?

I've actually just ordered a BBVD christmas CD off www.secondspin.com which I'm looking forward to hearing next December.

The whole nu-swing scene seems to have faded underground now, around 1999 or so both BBVD and Cherry Poppin' Daddies were big in the States and I even saw Cherry Poppin' Daddies on BBC2 over here.

6. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    try Ray Gelato and the Giants too.