Big AVR or separates for large living room 5.2

drphlox

Novice Member
Hello, I’m putting together a system for my main living space. It will need to control two outside speakers as a second zone. The TV area will have
2x B&W 603s2 towers as front L/R
B&W HTM72 center channel. If I can convince my wife it’ll be an HTM71
2x B&W CCM683 rear surrounds in-ceiling
2x SVS PC-2000 subwoofers

I was originally planning to get a Denon AVR3700 but due to the room size I feel I may need more power. Now I’m looking at a Marantz SR5015 and an Emotiva BASX A3 to power the front stage. I will be in this house for a while and will remain in a 5.2 configuration so the extra channels of the bigger amps are useless.
Thanks I’m advance!

Floorplan
125F682C-BF31-441E-8C41-9DA3C8699237.jpeg

Mr Wolf

Depending on how hard they're being driven, a BasX A3 should give you between 1.5dB and 3dB more dynamic headroom over an X3700 which equates to about a 10-20% increase in loudness.

Whether or not you'll appreciate this extra headroom will depend on your listening level. Unless you're listening higher than -10dB I very much doubt you would be able to notice any difference at all as an X3700 shouldn't be running into compression at that level.

drphlox

Novice Member
Depending on how hard they're being driven, a BasX A3 should give you between 1.5dB and 3dB more dynamic headroom over an X3700 which equates to about a 10-20% increase in loudness.

Whether or not you'll appreciate this extra headroom will depend on your listening level. Unless you're listening higher than -10dB I very much doubt you would be able to notice any difference at all as an X3700 shouldn't be running into compression at that level.
Ok great to know, I will stick with the Denon. The more I think about it, I will only hit -20db once a month. It’s the living room and with kids it will likely be locked on Disney anyhow haha

rccarguy2

Distinguished Member
THe bas X is a fairly low range power amp and only slightly better than a Midrand pre out avr, so I'd say use the Denon for now and if you want a dedicated Poweramp for some, or all channels (to then use the Denon in all pre amp mode) then I'd say look for a good 150w per channel, at the very least emotiva xpa, iota, tonewinner, rotel,

Demo a few other brands, I owned b&w and they're ok but I think they you can buy better #and have own sound signature some people don't like them.

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom