1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Big ae300 problem

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Buck Swope, May 29, 2004.

1. Buck Swope

Buck Swope
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Last night, after only 2 months, my panny ae300 went pop.

Earlier this week I noticed the image wasn't as bright as usual and was finding it real hard to see in the day time. As i'm only using curtains to keep the light out I thought maybe it was just that the days were getting brighter for longer. That was until wednesday night. Untill then I was only playing on me Xbox so thought maybe it was the game. I sat down to watch a film and found myself turning both the brightness and the contrast up +10, from approx -2 and +3 respectively. Thursday night,same thing. Friday evening, same thing. Friday night,POP. Me, :mad:

I'm 99.9% sure it's the lamp. Only the room was cool and had been ever since the pj arived. I'd been only low lamp mode since I got it, and no problems were shown on the secret menu. I'd used up approx 260 hours.

Does anyone think i'll encounter any problems getting it sorted? For free mind!

Sorry for the long post but thought i'd give all the info I could think of up front.

2. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I would suggest playing the dummy a bit..... approach it as if you dont really know about this kind of thing and your machine has broken..... it sounds like it is the bulb but in honesty you will be outside bulb warranty.... if you seem like you arent so knowledgeable..... somone is more likely to take pity,

ad

3. akarit1

akarit1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Funny that, I thought the bulbs were suppose to last 2000 hrs+. If your bulb has gone the way of the dodo after only 260 hours I'd demand a replacement bulb or machine!!Oh dear its not looking good for the panny 300 is it.And to think, i thought it was the bees knees when I saw it at my local panny shop!!I think it may have just been a faulty bulb, (presuming you did let the fan run after switching of the bulb for a few minutes before completely shutting the whole pj down) that needs replacing.

4. Buck Swope

Buck Swope
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm sorry, did you say outside the bulb warranty? Er... how long is the warranty? I've only switched my pj off twice. Once to clean the filter (which I was planning to do again this weekend) and once again last night, waiting about 10 mins after it went pop. The rest of the time it was on standby as it was being used almost everyday.

5. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The warranty on bulb often differs from that of the projector..... 30 days isnt unusual for a bulb..... this is why im saying to act naive..... going in with all guns blazing isnt a good approach, much better to take a simple and polite approach, if it fails then at least you have somewhere to go..... going in hard first of leaves you a bit stuck and with no friends.....

ad

6. Buck Swope

Buck Swope
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advice buns, most appreciated. I work in retail myself and when I get a customer with a problem starts giving me lip they learn pretty quick that they've used the wrong approach :D

Has anyone else had this happen to them? I was reading posts on this site for about a month before I brought my ae300. I knew there was a certain risk in buying projectors, dead pixels, dust blobs and the like, but don't recall reading of any faulty bulbs. Am I the only sucker lucky enough to have a bulb go pop for apparently no reason?