• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Bidder on eBay wants serial number to check warranty

iNspectorgadJet

Prominent Member
Hi all,

I've caved in and decided to sell my 3GS on ebay so I can have a shiny new toy next week. I have been asked by a potential bidder to give him the serial number so he can check the warranty.
I've just found the self solve thing on apple's site and I'm assuming he's going to do that. I just wanted to make sure before I go giving my serial number out that it's safe and is this a normal type of query?
And do I transfer the Apple care over to the buyer or just leave it as is?

mikee66

Established Member
just you put it in and screen capture the screen then blank out the number and show him the warranty dates (if that makes sense?)

mikee66

Established Member
Quality :)

WATTS

Established Member
sounds dodgy to me. I got the same request when i had mine on ebay and never heard anything else back from the scammer when i said it too risky. With your serial and imei number they can clone your phone quite easily.

Personally i would keep well clear of this person. ;)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom