Question Bias lighting recommendations

tim1982

Established Member
Reaction score
Asking around if anyone has any recommendations for led bias lights I can use on the back of my tv? Ebay is just giving me a headache as there is sooooo much to choose from and most don't come complete with corner connectors so need a complete package. Any links appreciated

Have been thinking about this. There is this, which mentions 6500K: High CRI Bias Lights

And also this, which does not: Vansky® LED TV Backlight for HDTV: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

My tv calibration guy says 6500K is not specific enough, we are looking for D65.

I'm wondering if Philips Hue bulbs can be made to output D65. Maybe it would be possible to point a meter at the wall and adjust colour until it is right.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
You could just use a generic uplighter sat behind the TV with a low wattage bulb ...

Imho you can overthink this sort of stuff. All you really need is a source of relatively low light that balances your vision to stop extreme screen brightness changes hurting your eyes. The key feature is that it doesn't shine on the screen, which is why it's cast behind it. Also avoid having it shine down onto a TV stand or cabling behind the set as this can be distracting, depending on exactly where you are sitting.

Philips ambilight is different - making the room background fit with the picture tone.

Imho you can overthink this sort of stuff.

Totally agree. My thinking is that now I've spent so much on TV and calibration, it would be silly to ruin all that for the sake of a cheap light.

But I haven't really figured out yet if room light colour has an appreciable impact on perception of the TV image. But movie colorists do control their room lighting, so I could too, just in case.

It helps for colourists to have neutral background colour because they need to be able to accurately judge the balance of what they are adjusting, but for home use as simply a viewer, I'd be surprised if it made much difference. I have some massive dark red curtains behind the set, for a start ... !

I can tell you that trying to balance photos with varying room lighting is a bit of a nightmare, you often wind up over brightening or pushing the white balance too far, but I've rarely noticed a difference in the viewing experience with different backlighting, unless it was too bright, which is a different type of failure..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom