Bias lighting options?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by wonderer, Oct 22, 2017.

1. wonderer

wonderer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    I love me some bias lighting behind the TV but can't use any kind of lamp like some people do as TV will be pretty much right up against wall. Trouble is I have had a few of the crappy old led strips off eBay, you know the ones with the different colour remote, and the 3m double sided tape just gives out after a little while and they fall off. The LEDs always go night as well and give out so no 5.99 eBay strips either please.

So what kind of bias lighting do you guys have and also as a sideline what do you all think about Lightberry? I kind of like it but not £200 like it.

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,071
  3. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    There are some dedicated TV lights on Amazon. Currently as my TV is on a pedestal for now, then I actually just attached a clip-on lamp holder to the back of the stand with a philips hue bulb in it to just try it out so now Ive ordered a another philips light strip+ kit.

The plan is to mount it on a DIY rectangular frame that will get attached to the vesa mount. Frame will be larger than the vesa mount, but much smaller than the TV to keep the light strip invisible (leaving just the glow). The strip is 2M long, so rectangle of a suitable size and aspect to accommodate it.

Will go down to a hardware store and have a look at what can be abused for the purpose - probably plastic or thin wood and some metal strips with holes for the vesa mount, or might even carve up some of those aluminium channels you can get for led light strips.

Cost expected to be 59 for the light, (I already have the hue hub, harmony and alexa etc) + maybe a tenner for other odds and sods. Add another 50 quid if you don't already have the hue hub - then maybe it might be worth thinking about broader use of the hue system as well - all of our side lights are hue which is great for movies as I can control then from the harmony remote or my iphone etc and just create a preset 'cinema mode' scene.

Quick photo with just a bulb behind - other two light have hue bulb in them as well. Light strips are a lot brighter, also this is semi dimmed as well.
    IMG_0658-2.jpg

Last edited: Oct 23, 2017
  4. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,034
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  5. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    My DIY wall mount hue bias light.

Its made from extruded aluminium lightstript channels with a 45 degree diffuser and inside is a hue lightstrip plus (so I can control it from harmony remote etc).
    The lighstrip channels are from Paulmann in Germany (bought from Amazon.de) as these are the only ones I could find that were a perfect fit for the hue lightstrip.

The inside measurements are about 75cm x 30cm - enough to go round a vesa mounting plate and holds a 2m lightstrip with approx 10cm gap in the bottom at the middle (intended).

Its sized for a 55" TV so that the light is well hidden behind the TV leaving just a soft glow. It was on about 20% brightness here.

IMG_0664-1080.jpg

Last edited: Oct 26, 2017