1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biamping with two ARCAM A85 integrated amplifiers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ozturk, Aug 25, 2004.

Tags:
  1. ozturk

ozturk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am a proud owner of an ARCAM A85 integrated (excellent amplifier).
    I have recently had a chance to have another one for a bargain price.
    Now I would like to use one of them as a power amplifier and biamping
    my Triangle Celius speakers. Is it possible to do this? Is there any difference
    between using A85 as a power amplifier and P85 power amplifier?
    And which method is better ; vertical or horizontal biamping?
    Regards.

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The integrated and power amp will sound better. If you are using 2 integrateds it is possible but you have all the extra electronics in the integrated amps to mess up the audio signal. It's up to you.
    It will sound better than the integrated by itself but won't be as good as an integrated and power combination.

3. ozturk

ozturk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is a switch at rear side of A85 to separate pre/power section.
    I can use only the power amplifier section of A85 without any interference from the preamplifier section. Do you think that it is still not good to use it this way? Do I have to trade in my second A85 and buy P85 instead?

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Unless there are seperate power supplies for the pre power sections or atleast seperate windings the switch won't do a lot. The power will still interfere with the signal path. It depends on you really, how much of a perfectionist are you?
    If you've managed to get a good deal on the second amp you should atleast try it. If you don't like it, see if you can get a P85 on Dem. Hook them both up and compare.
    Make sure you get the same interconnects as you are currently using otherwise things may sound a little weird.

5. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    You can use the switch on the rear of an A85 to use it as a power amp. Its performance will be then very close to a pure P85, the difference being that the P85 has a bigger power transformer to cope with a possible 3rd channel amp module. The preamp board on the second A85 will not interfere in any material way.

If it were me I would use the main integrated amplifier for the two treble drivers and the outboard amplifier for the bass drivers. You might need to put tape over the IR receiver in the second A85 to stop it responding to the remote control, although this won't of course stop it working as a power amp.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

6. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I stand humbly corrected.
    John, can you tell me what is isolated by that switch? Sounds like the remote and everything are still functioning. Are there seperate windings for the pre/power sections?
    Just curious.