1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biamping the AVR300

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by bluesfan, Dec 24, 2004.

1. bluesfan

bluesfan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are there any problems bi-amping the 300 with the 6/7 channels eg:

- gets hot
    - hum or hiss

Also has the fan quieted down on most peoples machines? This is the one this putting me off as I know there have been returns because of noisy fans.

2. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the noisy fans was a heatsensor issue of the first few receivers. Now they are perfect.

I myself are bi-amping the 300 with channel 6+7 and it does not get hotter compared to single-amping. There is NO hum or hiss at all in either case.

It just sounds great :D

3. mgkaplan

mgkaplan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I biamp my speakers with channels 6 + 7. Great sound! No problems!

4. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Agree, no probs as with some other amps (Denon AVR3805).
    Suppose Arcam uses better switching / internal cabling.
    Barend

5. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I yesterday decided to bi-amp my AVR 300. How will this affect the overall output in two channel stereo mode. Does the output increase from the normal 120 wpc to 120 plus the 100wpc for the 6 and 7 channel used to bi-amp giving a total of 220 wpc?

6. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Not exactly, as the bass section of a speaker is much more power hungry than the treble section.
    Beware- posting this may seriously affect your health as it often leads to an endless power debate...
    But you should notice an improvement in the bass control and in the mids/treble clarity.
    If you do, enjoy and stop thinking about power distribution...
    If you don't, consider using an outboard 150-200W power amp for the bass or (preferably) for both bass ánd treble.
    Barend

7. ttree sound

ttree sound

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Barend,

I've connected the LF speaker terminals to the front left and right of the avr300 and the HF speaker terminals to the left and right surround back on the amp and selected bi amp in the ex settings within the avr 300 menu.

Do the low and high frequency signals get split in the amp before going to the speakers or do they just output two sets of full range signals. Yes I shuld just enjoy the improved sound quality but I need to know how everything works before I can fully enjoy!

8. ANDY_DUTTON

ANDY_DUTTON

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    The ouptu from the two sets of terminals is exactly the same. It is still up to the crossover in your speakers to intergrate the LF and HF together.

Regards,
    Andrew

9. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to bi-amp my Monitor Audio GR20's using the unused rear AVR300 outputs BUT I am still confused about the power going into each speaker. The GR20's are rated at 150 watts. With biamping using the AVR300 will 220 watts be pumped into each speaker and does this matter anyway? The MA site says that moderate over-amplification should not be a problem.

Another question ..... using my AVR300 and DV79 for DVDs I find that the volume control has to be set as high as 88 - 90 dB to get a suitable volume ... is this normal? (my room is about 6.5 x 6.5 metres). Similarly with CDs ..... for that large orchestra effect I have to go close to maximum volume).

10. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I've got an AVR300 and DV79 and don't have to turn the volume up to anywhear near that level - in fact, in my room (about 6*4m) it would be far to loud.

John

11. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Don't worry about the power, I doubt whether your speakers will ever get 200 Watts...mine are KEF Reference 203 specified at 200W max that get 200W per section from my Rotel RMB-1095 (5x200W) I use to biamp the fronts plus center.

The volume settings issue you mentioned are normal and have to do with the differences between digital streems and analog signals, I have to set it to 85 dB for a "cinema" volume for dvd's, to 75 dB for many multichannel SACD's and to 60dB for most cd's.
    Good idea to set CD to the most INsensitive value, as I found on really loud music there's notably more compression otherwise.
    It has nothing to do with output power, I tried with my audio analyser and can confirm the AVR300 can get VERY loud indeed, it's more about not steering the input(s) to the full, which is not a bad idea (keeping some reserve I mean).
    It's a pity one cannot save per input settings as on the stereo amp A85...
    Workaround is setting the Setup levels per speaker to max and go from there, it is also worthwile to try and let the DVD player handle the decoding (probably only a good idea if it has really good DA converters) and feed it analog to the six DVD-A inputs of the AVR300 (right hand button).

That said I feel the sound quality of the AVR300 is better than any other amp I heard, and believe me I heard MANY, and previously owned the Denon AVR-3805 which couldn't touch it...

Barend

12. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Could be, depending on the level settings of both player and receiver, and whether it's in the digital or analog domain.
    Barend

13. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clear up this issue: if you bi-amp using the AVR300, you will feed 2 x 100=200 Watt to each speaker, not 120+100=220 Watt

14. glimball

glimball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Barend and Hifiaddict,

Barend - I've changed the sensitivities for the DVD and CD inputs - volume much enhanced - especially on CD. Is there a quality downside in doing this?

Addict - thanks for the clarification. At 200 watts this this more or less meets the MA website FAQ info. It seems from what Barend says that this isn't really an issue given the power that actually ends up going to the speakers at any instant in time. I notice, by the way , that some US websites quote the handling ability of MA gold ref as 100 - 300 watts (this is NOT mentioned on the MA website) - I guess that this is a reflection of the fact that, in the real world, the power (unless hugely over or under powered) is not an issue in terms of damage to good quality speakers - I'll stop there since this would be an issue for the speaker forum!

I'll biamp the speakers when I can get the cable - would I be right to assume that the cable to each driver should be identical in type and length?

15. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    exactly, better 1000 Watt with controlled music then 10 watt with uncontrolled music as those will destroy your speakers for sure.

And on the bi-amping: you are right. For the best result, use the same type/length for both wires that run to each speaker. Good luck and have fun with it !