1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biamping nad and arcam

Discussion in 'AV Pre-Amp/Processors & Power Amps' started by kid rock, Jan 23, 2005.

Tags:
  1. kid rock

kid rock
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I currently have an Arcam avr300 and a Arcam p90 integrated which biamp my Kef xq3s which are my stereo pair. I recently bought a NAD 218 thx power amp for a crazy price (100 quid) and its in reasonable condition. Within the context of my current system could I biamp it with the p90 and leave the avr 300 to not run the stereo pair???

I am a bit of a novice when it comes to this hence my precaution of asking for some help before I hook it all up.

Cheers

Kid Rock :lease:

2. tecman

tecman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not familiar with the Nad is it a 5 channel power?if so I would use it to power all 5 speakers byamping the fronts with the P90 and just use the AVR as a processor.

But however you integrate the Nad into the system it may sound a bit strange as the Nad is going to have completely different tonal qualaties to the arcam.

3. booktrunk

booktrunk
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Weird... I could have sworn I sent a post about this a couple of days ago.

What you need to do is see if you can find out the gain on both the amps if it is not nearly identical then you are going to get different levels out of the base and the treble for a start.

To be honest I think you are a lot better of sticking with one manufacturer for bi-amping rather then two different brands of power amps.

You can try it but I think the P90 with the A300 would be a lot more suitable, and that even though the Nad was a bargain maybe it is time to sell it again...

Maybe eBay it could make a decent profit :)
    Save your pennies and buy an P35 if you don't think the P90 is enough.

Or you could try the nad just single amping it with the nad if you like that sound keep that or sell the P90 to get another nad amp.

Steff

EDIT: Doh, didn't actually answer half the question, yes in theory you could use this and the P90 to bi-amp the fronts by splitting the signal from the pre out into both instead of just one of the amps, either a Y splitter at one end, ie plug a splitter into the P90 pre-in and then have the cable for the channel come from the AVR300 into the splitter one end of which goes into the P90 and the other has a cable attached to it which goes to the NAD, or does one of the amps have a pass through function for bi-amping with another same model amp?