Biamping AVCA11XVA preouts question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by KAZER, Jan 19, 2008.

1. KAZER

KAZER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi

Please help!

Am currently using a full 7.1 setup however I want to biamp the fronts using a seperate power amp. Now my question is the is only one set of front preouts on the amp I need 2 sets to biamp externally??:confused: So my question is where do I plug the second set of preouts?

Is it possible to do what I am discibing without losing 7.1 capability?

:lease:

KAZER

2. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,041
    You can still Bi-Amp and have 7.1 if you're using a seperate poweramp. As an example, you'd use the the poweramp to drive the speakers mid/bass drivers and the Denon's front left and right internal amps to drive their tweeters. The internal amps/speaker terminals remain active even when you use the Pre-Outs.

The only thing you have to watch out for is the gain. Ideally the poweramp would match the Denon in that respect. If the poweramp is THX certified you'll probably find they're the same or very close to each other anyway.

The other option would be to use a Y-splitter on each of the Denon's Front Pre-outs (if it's a multichannel poweramp).

3. KAZER

KAZER

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks Jase

Regarding the Y splitters surly if I use these I wouldn't actually be biamping? or am I not understanding this right.

The power amp is both multichannel and THX certified although I would prefer to use the poweramp to power the fronts wholley (sp) thus over coming any possibility of gain problems.

Thats why I ask about Y splitters.

KAZER

4. Jase

Jase
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,041
    If the poweramp is multichannel you'd use four of it's channels to Bi-Amp your speakers. The Y splitter/s would take the FL and FR signals from the Denon and connect to four Inputs on the poweramp. You're still Bi-Amping as that's done by the poweramp.