Biamping A85 with a P90... should I ?

Graham27

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello fellow Arcamites :D

You were all terribly helpful regarding my CD player dilemmas (have decided on the 192) and I'm now trying to work out whether I should add a power amp to the old credit card bill too :rolleyes:

I have the A85 integrated, and I'm very happy with it, but the temptation has always been there to see if I could get a bit more out of it. I've seen a few P85's on eBay, but they seem to go for about £200-£300ish.

With new P90's being available for £299 currently, I'm thinking that's a better option. But are there any tonal differences between the P85/90 ? And as such would I be better off with a second hand P85 ?

Or is there anything else that means it's a bad idea ?

Even if the suggestions are of the "biamping ? Pffft, no!" variety, all constructive comment is gratefully received :thumbsup:

I certainly enjoyed doing exactly what you describe. Made a big difference for me.

Started off classic bi-amp (bi wire) situation, A85 to hi frequency, P90 to LF.

Then moved and had a single wire situation to the speakers (FB1+) so used the A85 in pre-amp mode, cutting off the power amp outputs to the speaker, speakers fed just from the P90. Still awesome, and better than the A85 on its own. I tried both to see if I could cut down on the boxes but I felt I needed the P90.

Ended up getting the C31 pre amp to replace my A85 to go into the P90... even more heaven.

I think it's worth it!

Since you didn't identify your speakers, it's hard to know whether biamping would make a difference or if it's even possible. The lack of information also means we can't determine which amplifier would be better suited if biamping were feasible and worth while.

Ah, sorry, that's what comes of posting when you're slightly the worse for wear :D

The speakers are MA RS6, so biamping is definitely possible.

With new P90's being available for £299 currently, I'm thinking that's a better option.
With a P90 at £299 you should jump at it (it costs CHF1500 - that's £730 - over here). It will suit you fine; I'd recommend a P90 over a P85 anyway, but normally it would be a lot more expensive. Use the P90 for the LF.

(That said; I doubt if you're going to get much objective improvement, but that's my pessimism).

Hi, sorry to hi jack the thread, but could I add a P90 to my A65+ for either bi amping or just using the P90 (with A65 acting as pre amp) with good results? Or should I just save for a dedicated pre / power combo? Advice greatly appreciated.

Same answer as I gave to Graham the first time: information needed!

Mark,

Current system = A65+ with CD 82T and B&W 602 s3's, however, I am currently looking at new speakers, to go in a larger room than I am currently using. I have recently demo'd a number of different brands and the Monitor Audio SR6's are top of my list so far, with sweet mids and fine details, which are a nice change compared to my current smooth and slightly warm sounding set up. That said, a number of people on this forum are trying to convince me that the PMC GB 1's are probably a better option (At nearly twice the price!) although I am not sure these would fill a big room, hence thoughts about a bigger amplifier.

I am not sure whether to go the Bi amp route with A65 and P90 or buy a dedicated pre power combo or an FMJ intergrated (All at second hand prices as they present themselves)

I guess I am looking for a major upgrade of my system, I want more power and more details as cost effectively as possible.

Blueorb: Rather than going for a P90 at £299, maybe consider an A90 at £499 ? That would seem a better idea to me anyway.

I was thinking FMJ a 32 (second hand) But then would the MA RS6's sound ok with that amp or not?

This is my predicament. I want new speakers as my priority, but also want to upgrade the amp ASAP. I love Arcam equipment and haven't even considered any other brands for amplification.

It's RS6's I have, and they sound great (IMO) with my A85. Hence the reason for this thread, to see if I could get even more out of them :D

I sometimes listen at pretty high volumes, and I'm led to believe that's where biamping shines, so that's why I'm considering it currently.

A very important consideration is the speaker / power amplifier combination and interaction: the result is not just the sum of its parts.

Since you haven't decided on speakers, I cannot even start to answer your question on amplification. Since you gave no budget, I also can't make any recommendations on possible combinations.

I suggest you go to a dealer and let him put together some matching combinations that will work for you.

I was thinking FMJ a 32 (second hand) But then would the MA RS6's sound ok with that amp or not?
Last second hand A32 I saw was £549. You can get them new, also from Sevenoaks Brighton, for £699.

£150 more, but as the FMJ stuff has a 5 year warranty, a much better buy IMO.

I'm almost tempted to punt my A85 and go for the A32 :D

How does the a32 sound compared to the a85? Is there a vast difference? I have heard the a85 and really liked the sonic presentation. Not heard the a32 however.

Having done some research on the forum, it would seem that a85 / a90 and either MA rs'6s or PMC FB1+ are a great match.

I am begining to narrow things down at last. Just need to hear the PMC's and the A32 for myself.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom