1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biamp with a 3803?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by RobDickinson, Feb 17, 2004.

1. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +736
    Considering the 3803 as a mid step between an ax3 and ax5 pio (dont need ilink esp).

Doesnt look like it does it but any way to use those extra 2 channels with A/B speakers or multiroom stuff?

Seems a waste to me if I dont use them for rear effects.

Will be used 50/50 music movies with monitor audio silvers (s6i mains).

2. Dimmy

Dimmy
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No you can't assign them to the front channels for biamping (unfortuately).

3. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    There's a way around it. This applies to the 3801/2/3 and A1SR (5803). Copied and pasted from this link.

http://www.audioholics.com/productreviews/avhardware/Denon-AVR5803p4.html

"After some thought, Denon tech support gave me the info on how to accomplish the bi-amping task. Here is how to do it. Note this will only work if you don't plan on using the amps for surround back channels or multi zone 2 applications.

Bi-Amp Configuration of Main Channels

Step #1: Connect a pair of analog RCA cables from the preamp outs of the “Front” channels to an unused input of the AVR-5803 (In my case, I chose VDP).

Step #2: Select the chosen input as the source for Multi Zone 2.

Step #3: In the Multi Zone Control menu, select power amp assignment for “Multi Zone 2”.

Step #4: Using the internal test tones of the AVR-5803, position the SPL meter (slow response, C-weighted) at the listening position and increase the master volume control until each speaker reads about 75dB.

Step #5: Disconnect the speaker level connections from the “Front” channels at the AVR-5803 and reconnect them to the appropriate “Multi Zone 2” speaker level connections.

Step #6: Repeat Step#4 while varying the “Multi Zone 2” volume level. I found nearly unity gain correlation between the “Front” channel and “Multi Zone 2” amplifiers to be at the “Multi Zone 2” volume level setting of +2dB.

Step #7: Remove the jumpers on the back of the main speakers (you would be amazed at how many people forget to do this, Yikes!)

Step #8: Connect a set of wires from the “Front” channels of the receiver to the highs section of each of your front speakers and a set of wires from the “Multi Zone 2” channels of the receiver to the lows of your front speakers."

4. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Or you can just use the two Surround Back channels to power a pair of speakers in another room (multizone). :)

5. RobDickinson

RobDickinson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +736
    Jase Thanks!

I assume you've tried it? If so which (hi or low) split did you use for the analog passthrough? Theres no A/D D/A delays or anything?

I'm used to mucking around with stuff like that and have a SPL meter ready so I'll give it a go.

Multiroom isnt much of a use to me because of the setup in the house.

Now may have to dem the AX3 and the 3803...

6. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
    Unfortunately not. My current Denon doesn't have the Power Amp Assignment feature and my speakers aren't bi-wire/amp-able or I'd have given it a go.