Biamp P1000

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by gastoyou, Jan 9, 2012.

Tags:
  1. gastoyou

gastoyou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am currently using my P1000 to run a 7.1 set up using a speaker combination of 4 Monopulse 32As and 2 B&W's DM602's and a Linn AV5120 centre.

I am having a change round in the room and am thinking of moving the B&W's 602's to another room and running just a 5.1 set up with the 4 Monopulse 32A's and the Linn centre.

I currently have my front pair of 32A's wired with Chord Odessey4 birwire cable terminated 2 to 2 with the same cable used as a jumper (using 2 strands of cable per jumper).

Also using the same cable and jumper set up on the AV5120

I am using Chord Rumour2 to the surround 32A's and the DM602's.

I had thought of getting another pair of Chord Odessey4 cable terminated 2 to 2 to biamp the front pair but before I spend approx £250 on this cable would be gratful for any advise,

My listening is split about equal between Vinyl, CD and Sky and I only use the surround mode for Sky playing all vinyl and CD in direct mode

1. Would there be a noticable difference in the sound quality in 2 channel direct mode over my current set up.
    2. Could I get away with say Odessey2 or Rumour2/4 as one of my biamp cables to keep the cost down.
    3. If so would I use this cable for the low or high frequency.

2. Gixxerblade

Gixxerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    1) I would expect any difference to be subtle with passive bi-amping but some people report worthwhile improvements, it depends to a large extent on how the crossover filter has been designed imho.

I doubt whether anyone else has tried this combination hence the lack of replies so let us know the results.

2) Can you get your dealer to give you a selection to try including the cheapest Chord (or other make) they stock? If so try them over a few days with a large variety of material.

3) Try both, I used VDH CS122 and QED silver spiral and XT400 as an experiment and convinced myself (probably wrongly) there was a difference moving them around. I'm not in the cables make a big difference camp though but I'm open minded - I prefer to spend the money on drivers though. You probably think cables make a difference in your set up and I'm not going to argue with you so try both combinations.

3. gastoyou

gastoyou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Gixxerblade

What you were saying about trying different cable got me thinking and I should have thought about it before but I already have 4 runs of rumour2 going to my surround speakers so over the weekend will be able to hook these up with the front pair in biamp setup.

Will try it as single runs and will also try doubling up with 2 runs terminated into 1.

Will post to let you know how I get on.

4. gastoyou

gastoyou

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For any one else that may want to try biamping Monopulse 32A's I spent quite a few hours experimenting and listening to the results and in my opinion the sound is actally worse when these speakers are biamped.

I tried biamping with,
    1. Chord Odessy4 (terminated 2 to 2) and Chord Rumour2.

2. Chord Odessy4 (terminated 2 to 2) and Chord Epic Twin (I bought a new pair of these cables so I could try this out).

I tried a combination of using these setups in both the HF and the LF inputs but in all these was a degrade in sound. I suspect this is due to how the Monopulses are set up.

I have ended up with the Chord Epic Twin with my original Chord Odessy4 (terminated 2 to 2) as a jumper and feel that this gives a good improvement over my original Odessy4 cable which I will be making use of in my bedroom system to upgrade the existing QED silver.

I have also purchased a secondhand AV9 to replace my AVP700 which will again be moved to my bedroom system.

To go with the AV9 I have also purchased Across 750 interconnects to link up with the P1000 and from my CD player and phonostage. Have not seen that many reviews on these about (athough their are a few on a French forum that seem to rate them highly).

Will post my thoughts on them when they are run in and I have chance to have a good listen to them.

5. Gixxerblade

Gixxerblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I had a look at the Monopulse site and I couldn't find your particular model but the current A speakers do not have any cossover components in the woofer and a 2nd order to the tweeter.

Therefore if yours are the same design you only have the voice coil in the woofer so your test is unusual and so are the results. It proves the best way is always to try for yourself and hear what happens - I am struggling to think why they would sound worse though.