1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biamp or Seperate?

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by GregW, Feb 8, 2005.

1. GregW

GregW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm expanding my system to add other components in our home remodel, and part of what I want to do is go from 5.1 to 7.1 in our main living room area. I'm running an AV32Rdp through a 100x5 and wonder what would be the best plan to add the extra channels.

One source tells me that I can biamp 2 100x5's together and have the L C R channels biamped with the remaining channels picked up by the single channels. Another source says that won't work and I need to add a 250x3 for the fronts and leave the 100x5 for the surrounds.

There are some fairly inexpensive 100x5r's in the marketplace now too so that does factor into all of this. I obviously want to continue taking advantage of TMREQ and sync-link, so whatever solutuion would work best I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

2. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    Hi Greg (another old face maybe???).

I don't think there is anything to stop you using two 100x5R's as long as you route the signal to the amp accordingly and configure the channels likewise. However bi-amping with 100x5R's depending on your speakers might still sound slightly inferior to using a 250x3R for the fronts and the 100x5R (4 channels worth) for the surrounds/rears... If it helps any I have gone the latter route myself. Of course that leaves a spare channel for that ceiling speaker everyone got so excited about (except me......)... ;)

3. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ceiling what? :thumbsdow

Do you remember GregW filter? :)

4. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    OK, Height channel, there I've said it now, must go and lie down...What a waste of time..... (that should liven things up!).

5. GregW

GregW

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Graham & Plump.. Yup.. tis me.. I've been here for awhile just lurking and watching to see how all the pieces are falling. Unfortunately between work and a major remodel of our house I haven't had nearly the time I once did to contribute to these great discussions.

Thanks for the input Graham on the 100 vs. 250. Because our house is almost entirely glass across the front to take advantage of the beach and ocean, the acoustics are downright horrible at times. What would be probably minor differences between the two units I'll probably never hear in this environment. As I said too, there seem to be quite a few 100x5's popping up for sale at about 1/2 the retail, but I can't remember seeing a 250. I know an amp is an amp and a good one will never become obsolete, but in some ways it's like driving a Ferrari in the city. It looks and sounds great, but you never get to really open it up and take advantage of what it can really do.

As far as the Greg filter, yeah, it's my fault that you have the turn the volume know about half way around to get it to come out of standby mode. I can't count the number of times we'd have to get up in the middle of the night because the system came on for no apparent reason. It turns out that the knob was so sensitive that the low frequency vibrations would trigger the system. Scared us to death a few times :)

It's really good to know that alot of the old gang is still around, and Dr. Z's contributions are always a wonderful treat. Like all of us, I'm so sad at what all transpired with TMA, but at the same time I'm glad to have been part of the community and friendships that were made. Dr. Z had a vision and the people that contributed input and feedback on the website had a great deal to do with helping to refine it and make the products even better.

Nice to see you all again,

Greg

6. Kenny Glasgow

Kenny Glasgow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +225
    Greg

Good to see you back :smashin: :beer:

7. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 100x5R is an excellent amp for both music and movies, but it can struggle with movies given their large transients and or odd speaker loads. This combined with poor room accoustics can leave some disapointed (although my ears would be bleeding if I tried to run it at full pelt at home).

The 250x3R filled in nicely for those wanting more, so a 250x3R for the fronts plus as many 100x5R's as you think is needed for the rears and you will have a good set up.

TMREQ will help with accoustics as you all know by now...

:)

8. Plump

Plump
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Doldrums Mark?
    Moving to Amazonas?

9. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Scunthorpe (that will have to be explained to our European cousins...)

10. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +192
    I thought Scunthorpe was one way traffic :confused: :rotfl: