1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-wiring

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by wynouk, May 2, 2002.

1. wynouk

wynouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how would you bi-wire Mission M74 speakers to a denon AVR 2802 amp, i'm a bit :confused: on the wiring on this one???

is there any drawing that i can understand as the one that comes with the speakers takes the plates out at the back of the speakers and then goes on to wire them up the same way as if the plates were still in????

so do you need a 4 core speaker cable at each of your 2 front speakers from the amp and what is a good recommended cable type??

thanks.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +856
  3. checkout3

checkout3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bi-wiring often confuses people. Most think that you need to have extra sockets on your amp. The truth is that you don't....In fact you can bi-wire from any amp you like really. The M74s have solid links joining the upper and lower terminals together. Remove the links for both the red and the black connections and then run two pieces of identical cable (you can tweak with differing cables for bass and treble another time) from the speakers back to the amp. You should have a single run of cable going to the treble terminals [HF] and another single run of cable going to the bass terminals [LF]. At the amp end you will now have two pairs of cables, or four seperate pieces. Take the two red cable and join them together. Do the same to the blacks and then connect the now single pair of cables to your amp as you would normally. Job done mate. Bi-wiring provides a variable benefit, depending on the length of cable being run and the type of speakers you have. Not all speakers benefit from bi-wiring [sonically]. Experiment and see. You can then change one cable for another type, for example I would swap QED original for QED silver to change the treble detail. Or swop QED original for Chord Rumour to improve bass performance.

4. wynouk

wynouk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for that, does QED sell good speaker cable

5. checkout3

checkout3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wynouk,

Yes they do.... Check out "Original Bi-Wire" @ £5.00/m "Silver Aniversary Bi-Wire" @£8.50/m and "Profile Silver Bi-Wire" @ £15.00. Sorry to contridict what my previous post but, I use QED Genesis Single @ £30.00/m. It is a single run cable but vastly superior to the others above. [Note this cables potential won't be fully realised with your Missions, but you will probably keep it for ages when and if you upgrade.]