1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi wiring

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by syndrome69, Aug 1, 2005.

1. syndrome69

syndrome69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can someone please give me a low-down on biwiring.

Currently i have a marantz pm7000 amp and B&W 602 s3 speakers. Will bi-wiring increase sound quality enough for an amateur hi-fi person like me to notice the difference? Will power be increased? Will i need to put the volume as high as i would if it weren't bi-wired?

Sorry for all the questions.. just curious and trying to get the best sound possible from my setup

cheers

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    There are many, many threads on the forum already discussing this which you should try and read.

My own take is that you won't notice a difference. Power certainly won't be increased, nor will there be a volume difference. It may be worth swapping the metal jumper bars with short lengths of your speaker cable though. :)

3. the_sanguine

the_sanguine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I think one of the principle arguments is over inductance and the magnetic fields of the bass interfering with the treble (or visa versa). I guess this can be substantiated by ocilliscopes and stuff....how good are your ears? How good is yor equiplent and cable?

4. Troon

Troon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I wouldn't put money on it. I'm not aware of any scientific evidence of biwiring having any beneficial effect over a single length of cable with equivalent cross-sectional area and resistance.

If anyone knows of one (not sponsored by M*****r), I'd love to hear about it.

5. narcoticsuite

narcoticsuite
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my experience it makes absolutely no difference and i can't really see how it could do.

As mentioned by eviljohn I would replace the jumper bars with short lengths of cable.

6. syndrome69

syndrome69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for info..

my ears are fine ... but if it's going to make a tiny difference then i wont bother. Most of the time I'm playing MP3's via my computer, so I assume the only time i might notice a difference would be if i was using a high quality cd player with expensive interconnects. I think i'll just upgrade to a more powerful amp- How do you guys rate the NAD C370?

Cheers