Bi wiring

st170dan

Established Member
Reaction score
Following on from this thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-amplifiers-receivers/815196-sony-str-dg910-hdmi-amp.html

I'd like to double check that understand correctly. I'm looking at some speakers that are capable at bi wiring, to do so on this amp I'd have to connect one speaker to all terminal of speaker set A and the other speaker to all terminal of speaker set B? See pic

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000OGA802/ref=dp_otherviews_z_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&img=1

What about the centre?

Thanks
Dan

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Following on from this thread

http://www.avforums.com/forums/av-amplifiers-receivers/815196-sony-str-dg910-hdmi-amp.html

I'd like to double check that understand correctly. I'm looking at some speakers that are capable at bi wiring, to do so on this amp I'd have to connect one speaker to all terminal of speaker set A and the other speaker to all terminal of speaker set B? See pic

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B000OGA802/ref=dp_otherviews_z_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&img=1

What about the centre?

Thanks
Dan

Bi-wiring is a pointless exercise. Bi-amping yields better results via bi-wiring, but your amp lacks the ability to bi-amp. Bi-wiring simply doubles the wire thickness from amp to speakers while bi-amping provides separate power sources for the high frequency and low frequency drive units.

The A and B terminals on your amp are powered by the same amplification modules and are bridged (wired together) via a simple speaker switch on the front of the amp.

If you still want to try bi-wiring rather than simply buying better speaker wire, look for speakers with 2 sets of speaker terminals. Such speakers can be bi-wired or use just one set of speaker wire connections if the bridges between the terminals (binding posts) are left in place..

biwire.jpg

Very few centre speakers offer the option of bi-wiring. Those that do are on the expensive side.

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
The speakers I'm looking at have 2 sets of terminals. So to do it on this amp I'd just use the amp terminals for one speaker set? But without bi amping it's pointless?

The speakers I'm looking at have 2 sets of terminals. So to do it on this amp I'd just use the amp terminals for one speaker set? But without bi amping it's pointless?

As I said, all you are doing is doubling the speaker wire which is the same as using thicker wire.

Bi-wiring only comes into its own if each set of wires has its own separate power source (bi-amping), one for the tweeter and another for the woofer. Your amp cannot facilitate this and the A and B terminals are powered by the same amplification module. You are effectively halving the amps output via two sets of speaker terminals.

Ah I see, that answers my next question! Thanks.

Sorry, one last question - I understand that using inputs for set A and B will half the amp output but are there any advantages to wiring it like in the above diagram? So only using one speaker set but having the left channel go to both left terminals on the speaker.

Last edited:
Sorry, one last question - I understand that using inputs for set A and B will half the amp output but are there any advantages to wiring it like in the above diagram? So only using one speaker set but having the left channel go to both left terminals on the speaker.

No advantages at all. The same can be achieved by using thicker speaker wire. Even this isn't necessarily better because thicker wire is only better over longer distances and won't yield any performance improvement if short lengths are all that is required.

With your amp, the A terminals are wired to the B terminals (bridged) inside the amp. They are effectively the same output split in two.

The A and B terminals are there to facilitate additional stereo speakers located in another room.

Last edited:
Ok, that all makes sense. Thanks for your help.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom