1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bi-wiring

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by sparky1, Sep 11, 2004.

1. sparky1

sparky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    hi again
    could someone explain How to bi-wire speakers please + can my amp actually do this?

thanks
    mark

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Sparky,
    Again there is a lot of confusion over whether or not bi wiring actually makes any difference. A lot depends on the speaker. I've always thought that B&W's benefit from Bi-Wiring.
    A)
    A simple and cheap way of B-Wiring is to remove the thin piece of metal from your speakers binding posts and replace it with some good quality cable (same as what you are using for the rest of the cable) This does pretty much the same thing as running a whole length of cable. With the obvious benefit of it being about 1/10 of the price.
    Your amp won't have a problem with this configuration.
    B)
    If you want to Bi-Wire properly you can get special bi-wire cable, the high frequency is on solid core and the low frequency is on stranded cable. Using Banana Plugs at the speaker end connect the low frequency wire to the low frequency speaker terminators and the high frequency to the high frequency terminators. At the Amp end connect both high and low frequency wires into a single banana plug (or whatever type of connector you're currently using)
    The argument is this: How can this possibly benefit as the amps not going to know which wire to send the high and low frequencys down? True but sometimes it does improve things.
    Good luck.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Always raises a few more questions than it answers,this one!

As Knightshade has answered the technical part of it,I'd only add that it can produce very useful results sometimes,and at others,none at all.
    It's made a very significant difference to my N805's,so much so that my wife noticed immediately,how much clearer and better defined the sound became,but I've had other speakers that it's made no difference to at all.

I think the suggestion of trying a good quality wire instead of the brass links is a very good low cost option.

4. sparky1

sparky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    lovely job fella's,
    thanks alot for your time, i'll try it out when they arrive monday.
    strange about the brass links though, i thought they would be better than a cable link?

many thanks
    Mark :)

5. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Sparky,
    The links are just cheap tin with plating on. Not the best conductor in the world for sound!
    Knight

6. sparky1

sparky1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    ok thanks for that,
    sorry to keep pestering you but how do i take these bits of tin off and does it void any warranty?

Mark

7. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    The binding posts on the speakers will be linked with said pieces of tin. Most binding posts have threaded Knurled nuts that unscrew to enable spade type speaker cable terminators to be fitted. If your speakers are Bi-wirable (I think the your new speakers are) simply loosen the top and bottom posts and the plate will fall away.
    Replacing them with cable is the tricky bit.
    Usually a 2 - 3 inch (Depending on distance between the posts) cable stripped at both ends and threaded through the holes in the binding posts will do the trick. Make sure you screw the posts down tight to make a good contact.
    I wouldn't have thought this would void your warranty. Most dealers do this when they are demoing speakers.