Bi-Wiring - technical on cable

graysclassics

Standard Member
Reaction score
I am modding my setup slightly and need to replace the speaker cable as its too short. I will probably use QED silver anniversary xt with nakomichi plugs. (I want to demo some transmission line units).

I am going from bookshelf speakers (Mission 760iSE) to floorstanders (TDL RTL2 SE) and want the cable to "disappear" into the skirting board or wall. Ok the wife wants it to disappear...:laugh:

All the bi-wire cable seems to be "flat" ie. 4 cables side by side, my current cable falls into this category as well. My amp is Marantz PM44SE.

Q> Is there any reason that a "pair" of standard 2 core cables cannot be stacked on top of each other so they could go in a smaller conduit? i.e. would it be a problem with mixed signal paths inducting into each other or am I talking out of my bum?

Is there a reason they are always flat as opposed to square other than easy to go under carpets?

Not sure biwiring really improves things anyway but the current setup has always been biwired. Thanks guys.

A pair of standard cables will work fine. Bi-Wired versions of the same cable are normally a bit cheaper than a pair but they look awful and can be a pain to route due to the overall size. As for any improvement in sound, bi-amping makes a big difference, bi-wiring far less worthwhile imo.

Theres no reason you cant stack cables, or go for something like the Van Damme black which has all 4 conductors in a single round cable if it will fit in your trunking.

For all the reading up Ive done Bi-Wiring seems like a waste of time, youre basically doubling the cost for the same run of cable when you could just bridge it at the speaker. Bi-Amping which powers the drivers separately does seem to make a difference for me so it was worthwhile.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom