Bi-wiring speakers-jumper bars/cables-help

Newbiexx

Novice Member
I am looking to bi-wire my speakers to the amp. I have read that I need to remove the jumper bars. The images I have seen are brass plates, my connections at the back of the speaker have 2 speaker cables connecting the two red connectors and the two black connectors. Are these the same as the plates/bars and should they be removed before bi-wiring to the amp?

giggsy1950

I wouldn't bother with bi-wiring, some say there is a slight sound difference, others not. Biamping might produce a slightly different sound. Whether that's 'better' or not is a different matter and down to personal taste. If you do want to go ahead I would post a pic of the current connection setup for clarity. Sounds like the jumper bars have been replaced with short runs of cable (which in itself 'may' alter the sound slightly, as some think replacing the cheap brass links with short lengths of the same speaker cable the speakers are connected to improves the sound) but can't say for sure what the current setup is without a pic. 👍

Newbiexx

Novice Member
I wouldn't bother with bi-wiring, some say there is a slight sound difference, others not. Biamping might produce a slightly different sound. Whether that's 'better' or not is a different matter and down to personal taste. If you do want to go ahead I would post a pic of the current connection setup for clarity. Sounds like the jumper bars have been replaced with short runs of cable (which in itself 'may' alter the sound slightly, as some think replacing the cheap brass links with short lengths of the same speaker cable the speakers are connected to improves the sound) but can't say for sure what the current setup is without a pic. 👍
Many thanks for your reply. My speakers are geared for bi-wiring so I thought I would try it. Pic below, please confirm whether or not I should remove these cables before connecting to the amp for bi-wiring?

Attachments

• 3B31525F-3C34-480E-B477-9DA893B725EA.jpeg
    3B31525F-3C34-480E-B477-9DA893B725EA.jpeg
    229.9 KB · Views: 24

giggsy1950

They look like short pieces of cable replacing the brass links you usually get. If you're biwiring or biamping then yes, remove the short bit of wire.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
'My speakers are geared for bi-wiring' - so are most loudspeakers produced since someone introduced dual binding posts for Bi-amping in the 1980's.

Bi-wiring is brilliant for the loudspeaker cable companies but not something which tends to produce any tangible benefits.

Hopefully it 'works' for you.

Joe

gibbsy

Don't bother. All you are basically doing is moving the crossover from the speakers to the amp itself. Very little, if any gain in audio performance. On many speakers bi-wiring posts are simply a fashion item.

Newbiexx

Novice Member
Don't bother. All you are basically doing is moving the crossover from the speakers to the amp itself. Very little, if any gain in audio performance. On many speakers bi-wiring posts are simply a fashion item.
My amp also has the option to split the cables at the amp so there is no crossover at the amp- thought i would give it a try- thanks for your reply

gibbsy

What amp and speakers do you have?

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom