1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-Wiring - Speaker A + B

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by guyb, Jun 3, 2003.

1. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi All

I have a question about bi-wiring. I have heard that it is possible to bi-wire your front speakers by connecting the front speakers to both Speaker A and Speaker B terminals of an AV receiver (such as Marantz SR7300) - is this possible and if so can someone tell me how to do it (i.e. which cables plug into which speaker terminals)

Thanks

Guy

2. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    You can do this, but personally, I would not recommend it. I know quite a few folk who claim that doing this somehow degraded the sound (like the extra terminals sounding worse). Anyway, if you want to do this, then you just connect say the LF terminals on the speakers with the A speaker terminals, and the HF terminals to the B speaker terminals. Nothing mystical about it.

Have you considered using a single wire run, and replacing the brass bars on the speakers terminals with cable instead? If you were feeling really adventurous, you could even open the speaker, and wire both drivers into the same set of terminals internally, which would be the optimal solution.

IMO, biwiring does nothing except give the sound false air, and robs it of groove.

3. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive always had my mission speakers Bi Wired, ive never actually tried them any other way so are u telling me the sound would be better if they werent Bi Wired ?

4. WhyAyeMan

WhyAyeMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
    IMHO, my Missions sound best single wired. So yes :D

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Bi-wiring for me- tried both ways on all the speakers i've owned (Mission M71, B&W 602 S3's and currently my Linns) and always gave me beneficial results. You have to spend more on speaker cable but well worth it imo. The quality of the cable can also dictate how your set up sounds. Get the best cable you can afford. I'm currently using Van den hul Teatrack bi-wire and i'm v happy with the sound it gives me.

6. willems

willems

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    its quite possible that you will not like the 'biwire' sound

7. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Biwiring certainly works for some speakers and not others.....when I had a set of Linn Keilidhs biwiring didnt really add much,but active operation transformed them.

Now,with B&W 805s,the difference in quality between biwired and single wired,even using heavy duty cables like Kimber8TC,is instantly noticeable...even my wife( who doesnt normally notice!)said how much better they were.

I certainly wouldn't bother using the A and B sockets,although,like all these things,the best way is to try and see if you notice a favourable difference.