1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-Wiring - Speaker A + B

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by guyb, Jun 2, 2003.

1. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Hi All

I have a question about bi-wiring. I have heard that it is possible to bi-wire your front speakers by connecting the front speakers to both Speaker A and Speaker B terminals of an AV receiver (such as Marantz SR7300) - is this possible and if so can someone tell me how to do it (i.e. which cables plug into which speaker terminals)

Thanks

Guy

2. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Guyb,
    Reading this post and being a newbie here, I was surprised that I might be able to help.I have one question for you first though.Can you have both your A and B speakers on at the same time ?
    If you can then first of all take the bridges off the terminals on the back of the speakers.Next there should be some markings saying which set of terminals are HF and LF(High Frequency and Low Frequency)on the speaker terminals, run one pair of speaker cables to the HF termainls and connect them to speaker set A on your AV amp/rec and then run another pair speaker cables from the LF connectors to speaker set B on your AMP, then repeat this for your other speaker.
    Just as aside note dont on one speaker run the HF to speaker A terminals and then on the other run the HF to speaker B terminals, seems to sound a little strange, it shouldn't but it seems to on mine, just keeps things the same.
    I tried this out myself which an older rvx520 receiver and Eltax speakers and the difference was really noticable, so good luck with that , and let us all know how you get on.Plus as a suggestion always use decent banana plugs as it will make your life easier changing terminals over(well it did with me anyway) and you get a better connection.
    I going to stop rabbiting on now so let us know , and post back, if I have made it to confusing, or you you need any more pointers.

Andy

3. guyb

guyb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Thanks for the response. Yes, you can have both speaker A and speaker B on at the same time. As soon as I get some speaker cable I will try it out. I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Guy

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    You need only connect to either the A or B terminals, you don't need to use both.

The only end you need split ends is at the speakers end.

5. Montana

Montana
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Retro,
    I forgot that you can put all both sets of positive and negative together into the speaker set A, thus giving you the added advantage of having another setup if you require.Also there has been some talk about, that if you use BOTH A and B speakers at the same time it affects your impedence, making your speakers harder to drive( I haven't found that the case with my setup), but maybe someone else with a greater knowledge than mine can clear up all the pros and cons of this, so I can learn as well.

Andy

6. wookie

wookie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Using A & B on most amps makes no difference to impedance.
    Electrically, the amp sees the same as a single run of cable going into 4 terminals (when the links are in place).
    Using A & B does normally provide twice the cable inside the amp though.

Bi-Wiring is just two runs of cable in parallel (should, in theory have the resistance of half of a single cable run).
    Some amps connect speakers A in series with speakers B and this would effect the result as the tweeter would be connected in series with the mids/woofers.