1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-wiring query on rear-surround speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MJeeves, Oct 28, 2004.

1. MJeeves

MJeeves

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +222
    Hi Guys,

I have recently purchased the Pioneer AX5AiS receiver and realised that it’s “Rear Surround” speaker terminals only has terminals for 1 set of left and right speaker cables. My “Rear Surround” speakers have TWO sets of speaker terminals on EACH speaker (one for bass and one for treble). How do I connect this up? Can both sets of speaker cables go into the same terminal on my receiver?

Thanks.

2. Jon

Jon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes you just double up the 2 positives and 2 negatives at the amp end, that will work fine!

Cheers

Jon

3. Paulbmw

Paulbmw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got a vsx-d814 and do it the same way as Jon suggests.Works for me.Look at richer sounds website,i think youll find a diagram explaining this subject :)

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Is it worthwhile though. There is much debate as to the validity of biwiring on front speakers ( I am neutral) but I cannot see it having any sonic benefit on rear speakers at all

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have a "theory": assuming you have a run of 1.5mm2 then bi-wiring with a 2nd run of identical 1.5mm2 cable would have the same effect as replacing the original cable with a 3mm2 cable (and leaving the metal bridges in place).

That said bi-wiring the rears seems a bit OTT (over-the-top) to me. Just because the speakers offer this option it doesn't mean you have to use it - and some of the finest speakers made are not even designed for bi-wiring, which should make you ask why ... ;)