1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-wiring m74's

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by spicymackerel, May 15, 2002.

1. spicymackerel

spicymackerel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw some earlier threads on this subject. However I thought I would achieve biwiring if I merely removed the plates and ran an additional short cable wire from the HF to the LF inputs. This is done by connecting one end into the banana plug that inputs into the HF - sharing it with the main speaker cable from the amp - and connecting the other end into another banana plug which is input into the LF. Can anyone advise if this a satisfactory method for bi-wring or if I am doing something wrong.

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +857
    What you are talking about is a jumper lead, to be honest I´d leave them as it is.
    Bi-wiring etc has been discussed (heatedly!!) many times before, some say it has benefits, others say it doesnt.

3. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Bi wiring involves running seperate speaker wire from the HF and the LF back to the amp - It sounds like your just replacing the connecting plate with another connector (speaker cable)

Out of interest did you think it sounded better ?

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I am NOT a fan of bi wiring but getting rid of these jumper plates is beneficial IMHO. I think this is what people see as the benefit of bi wiring. Russ Andrews actually sells these. However for the sake of 6 inches of LS cable it is a cost effective small benefit to speaker performance. Don't expect night and day changes though.

5. Bonesy

Bonesy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    :confused: :confused:

why would a speaker jumper give benefits over the cross-over supplied with the speaker? unless the cross-over is corroded, etc?

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    These jumpers are generally made of pressed metal of poor quality. These are coated with some funny metals (tin etc), then gold is applied to the tin. You end up with a pretty shiny gold plate that hasn't been designed to conduct an electrical signal accurately. None of the materials used in construction would be used if a purely accurate signal was being passes. This is the same reasons cheap phono plugs also sound horrible. Tag have a good example on this, they are the only company I know who have suceeded in putting gold onto copper without a yukky intermediary layer!

It doesn't sound much but proper connectors matter. I believe we have had quality cable for years but most are held back by poor quality plugs. LS connectors are generallly better than most. Why spoil them with shinny pressed metal plate?

Did I mention diodic effects from these dissimilar materials? Better not go there, too difficult to prove...;)

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    What about my theory that most people hear a difference when bi-wired because by adding an additional run of cables they effectively doubled the diameter, i.e. there is no difference between replacing a single-wiring with double diamter and bi-wiring?

Anyone have any insight / comment on this?

8. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    This one is easily solved with Kimber cable. The 4TC and 8TC are identical save for the 8 having twice the number of conductors. Many people advocate bi wiring, easily accomplished with 2 x 4TC. However unless there is a fault in the cross over design the 8 TC sounds better (bass and control). Just doubling up the 4TC cable does bring similar effects to the 8TC, just not quite as 'complete'. The 8TC single wiring always win IMHO.

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    So you are implying that bi-wiring does indeed work then?

Oh I wish I had access to my setup, I would try it all out then ... next holiday perhaps ...

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    No

Twice as much cable helps (better bass), reduced R in cable
    Replacing the tin plate with quality jumpers works
    Better quality cable can give some benefits

I remain unconvinced about the benefits of biwiring unless there are design problems with crossovers, in which case they can sound better

Bi ampling and active operation also works but is expensive.