1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bi-wire worth it?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Sly, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Sly

Sly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    hi guys(and gals)!
    i have a 3802 amp running AE aegis 3's as fronts,2's as side rears,1's as rear centre and aegis centre as (you've guessed it) the centre.
    my question is about cabling,i am using some van den hul clearwater on fronts(single)and QED original(single)to all other speakers.would i see a change if i bi-wired the fronts and would it be a change for the better as i can't bi-wire the other speakers?
    any comments would be great,also any cable recommended if you think bi-wire is the way to go?
    ta.

2. Mad Hatter

Mad Hatter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many here think that biwiring is something dreamt up by cable manufacturers to sell more cable.

It may have some benefit in hifi applications but is much more limited in AV

3. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as What HiFi? is concerned bi-wringing is the way to go.

They did a trial where they compared a cheaper cable with 2 runs (biwiring) to each speaker, with a expensive cable (single wired) and the bi-wired speakers sounded better. The expensive cable was more than the cost of the 2 cheaper cables together.

Reasonably conclusive.

4. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    My system is bi-wired all around with QED Silver Anniversary, it sounds exactly as it did prior.
    What Hi-Fi? can fill a three page spread detailing sonic characteristics of £30 digital interconnects.
    Try it see what you think, I don't mind having done it :) .

5. MuFu

MuFu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well I had quite a bit of excess QED Silver Noodle, so I bi-wired my 601 s3's. It did make a difference - not huge, but enough for me to be able to successfully blind-identify bi-wired/mono-wired configurations.

It'll depend a lot on your a setup, I guess; 601's are pretty damn tight & detailed as it is so it hasn't done too much to improve overall sound quality. Worth doing only if you can afford it, I reckon.

MuFu.

6. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yes-the necks of some of their reviewers.

7. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I spoke to a B&W Nautilus technician regarding BI-wiring when I purchased my speakers.
    He said not to bother.The dual terminals were really designed for Bi-amping.That's where the real benefits can come.(depending on your setup)

Regards

Simon

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please don't be a judge, policeman, lawyer or anyone with power over others based upon weighing up evidence.

Mike.

9. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    johnson has it right, the only thing that can be conclusively said about dual or tri terminals are that biamping is where the true improvements lie.

My view is that the cable you are using is really of pretty high standard when the rest of your kit is considered. I doubt you would hear any worthwhile improvements for the money you would have to spend. If you can get hold of some cables to demo, its a good idea, is only to prove this to yourself. Otherwise save the cdash and buy some dvd's!!!!

Ad

10. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    Bi amping is great. Bi wiring leaves me cold. The real test might be something like Kimber 4TC bi wired against Kimber 8TC single wired. You will never buy more wire again.;) If there are anything other than minor differences there is something very wrong somewhere. The crossover?

11. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only problem with single wiring is the dreaded shunts that come with the seakers, replace them with a piece of the same cable you are using, and that will be as good as bi-wiring, half the cost... ;)

Or just strip them long enough to reach both terminals...

12. Brox

Brox
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Flimber can you explain your comment I have no idea why you have written what you have written!!

I thought all things being equal and within the bounds of the test - it was reasonably conclusive!!

Can I assume you you disagree?

13. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I think Bi-Wiring does work - could hear the difference on my setup!