Bi- Wire With A Passive Sub?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by bob007, Dec 27, 2001.

1. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On saturday i'm helping a friend upgrade their system, everything bieng replaced except the passive sub bass (Cerwin Vega). Not ideal but they were on a budget.

Would like front left/right bi-wired (M73's) and all speakers set to small but is this possible with a passive sub. Amp is a Yamaha A5.

Because all the information goes to the sub first, being of the passive variety and is not connected via line level, does this mean i won't be able to bi-wire and use the bass management on the amp?

Not had much time for passive subs, i know how to connect them up the basic way but thats it. So any help would be great.

Cheers BOB

:cool:

2. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have to set no sub in the receiver, and front speakers to large, so all the bass goes to the front, then connect the sub to the amp´s front outs, set the sub´s crossover to whatever the front speakers will take, then connect the front speakers to the sub...

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Lowrider,

One problem;

There is no crossover on the sub, not that you can set manually, front and sub were bought as a package (cerwin vega).

Would think the crossover was around 80hz, so would setting the speakers to small be the alternative, or set them to large as you have recommended.

Does the bass management have any affect when the information goes to the sub first.

Wish they had gone for an active sub!!

Cheers BOB

4. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I assume that the sub has high level inputs (speaker wire) wich you will connect to the amp´s outputs (front speakers), and outputs to speakers, connect the front speakers (to the sub) there, forget about bi-wiring...

Now, the other speakers, center and surround, you connect directly to the amp. Then set no sub, front = large and others = small, this will make the amp (using bass management) send the bass from surrounds and front + .1 (special effects) + front speakers signal (all of it), to the front speakers out (wich you connected to the passive sub).

So the sub will split this signal with its internal crossover (it must have one), sending low freq to its driver and everything else to the front speakers (just like if it was just one set of speakers with an extra driver), capice :confused:

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gave the brain cells a day off from the alcohol, got it all connected
    after fighting my way through the snow. Now have a basic understanding of a passive sub bass.

My understanding is these units incorporate a two channel passive crossover that separates the low frequencies and the mid & hf frequencies from the full range output of the power amplifier. The mid & hf information is presented to a set of outputs for connection to the left and right (satellite) speakers. The two low frequency signals are connected to two coils in the same bass driver, where the signals are summed in the mechanical motion of the driver.

The fixed relative level of low frequencies to mid & hf frequencies in this design require that the satellite speakers have an efficiency performance compatible with that of the sub-bass speaker. Too efficient satellites results in bass-light output, while inefficient satellites will produce bass-heavy performance.

"By jove i think he's got it"