Bi-wire to bi-amp!

shade_of_meta

Novice Member
I've always just bi-wired my speaker cable as i've never had a pre / power combo...

i recently upgraded my amp to an Arcam AVR350 and thought why not use the other 2 channels i'm currently not taking advantage of!

The plan is to bi-amp the front speakers ( currently just Kef Q7's ) and if i notice a good improvement maybe get a P90 to further the sound ( not before upgrading speakers though! )

Question is...

i've recently come across some QED Genesis cable at a good price per metre and i was going to upgrade all my cabling from the standard stuff i got when buying the speakers..

Can i bi-amp this cable or is it easier / better to just buy 2 runs for each speaker?

And...is it a good choice of cable? ;)

Cheers,

Dankeech

Very briefly, I thought I'd let you know that on my Arcam AVR250 even, bi-amping the fronts using the rear surround outs set to bi-amp the fronts made quite a big difference to the sound.

I am very happy with the results.

I've not used QED Genesis before myself, but if you're over £5 or £10/meter of cabling I cannot recommend the QED Airlocs enough. Great contact on the speaker wire and look classy, as well as being soooo easy to get eveything connected/disconnected.

Dan.

jimborae

Bi-amping my Kef Q5's on my Yamaha RX-V1600 made a big difference.

Dankeech

Out of interest, how much have you been quoted for QED Genesis per metre? Also, what interconnects are you rinning on atm?

Dan.

shade_of_meta

Novice Member
Cheers for the replies,

£ 15 / metre for the cable....i'm using Sine reference interconnects for both my CD / SACD and DVD players,

Cheers,

Dankeech

£15/m sounds great. Normally £30/m so sounds like a bargain. Still, do remember that that's still a lot of money per metre.

May be worth comparing a couple of cables. If you have a local retailer who you've dealt with before, see if they'll lend you runs of:

QED Genesis
QED XT400
QED Silver Anniversary.

a decent retailer would probably have airloc or banana-terminated runs and be able to lend for home demo, of couse a deposit will be required.

May be worth trying a copper cable too, the QED's tend to be a bit forward (at least QED SA), but I like that in my setup. A copper cable would be expected to be a bit warmer.

A bi-wire cable (4 terminations either end) would make a nice tidy bi-amp setup. The bi-amping on even mine rounded the bass and gave me more dynamics on the top end. Hard to explain, but opened up the sound very well. It'd be hard to persuade me to go 7.1 over 5.1 bi-amped on fronts.

I'm sure you're aware, but don't forget to remove bi-wire/bi-amp links from back of speakers;)

Dan

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom