Bi-Wire Speakers

memphisuklf

Established Member
Reaction score
Altering my seating area in my living room and need to move my bi-wired surround speakers.
Need to extend the speaker wire my approx 4 metres per speaker and was just wondering the best way to extend these. The cable I have now wasn't cheap and didn't want to have to start again with new speaker wire and was hoping there was a reasonable alternative without losing sound quality.
Any advice appreciated.

Unless you are bi-amping as well, I wouldn't bother with bi-wiring - especially not for surround speakers. It is just a waste of extra cable IMO. As far as I know, there is no way of "extending" existing speaker cable without a drop in sound quality, as you would be introducing extra joints. The question is whether this drop in quality would be noticable... If I were you, I would get some cheaper, longer speaker cable and not bother with bi-wiring. Something like this should be perfectly adequate...

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
I am looking at bi-wiring as I have. Lost the interconnects on back of speakers. Would soldering the wires do the trick?

I am looking at bi-wiring as I have. Lost the interconnects on back of speakers. Would soldering the wires do the trick?

Never mind the interconnects (bridges) on the back - cut two small lengths of speaker wire and use them instead. A lot of people on here do that. And re: soldering, if you have spent good money on speaker cables, you would be doing them and yourself a disservice by soldering them to other cable as an extension... I would still prefer to just get new cable and not bother bi-wiring. What cable have you got already?

Tolq said:
Never mind the interconnects (bridges) on the back - cut two small lengths of speaker wire and use them instead. A lot of people on here do that. And re: soldering, if you have spent good money on speaker cables, you would be doing them and yourself a disservice by soldering them to other cable as an extension... I would still prefer to just get new cable and not bother bi-wiring. What cable have you got already?

Got qed speaker wire. Do you think that the bi-wiring is pointless/noticeable then?

I personally think bi-wiring is pointless. I have not been able to detect any difference between single and bi wiring. Bi-amping is a different story though - search the forums, there are quite a few discussions on the topic.

Tolq said:
I personally think bi-wiring is pointless. I have not been able to detect any difference between single and bi wiring. Bi-amping is a different story though - search the forums, there are quite a few discussions on the topic.

Thanks for the replies. Bi-amping not in the question. Only got the one receiver.
Will get some new cable and see if I can notice any difference.

Cheers

Hi your 667 can bi-amp the front speakers connect the extra cables to the surround side\back(sorry don't know what your amp calls them exactly) if you have a set of rear surround connected then its the other set and then go into the menu and turn bi-amp on

Robert

RobTi said:
Hi your 667 can bi-amp the front speakers connect the extra cables to the surround side\back(sorry don't know what your amp calls them exactly) if you have a set of rear surround connected then its the other set and then go into the menu and turn bi-amp on

Robert

I know how to bi-amp the speakers. That's not what the problem is. Thanks for replying anyway. Thinking of just bi-amping the front speakers, and leaving the backs. Would that be possible?

Last edited:
Leaving the backs as in not connecting them? Yes, that is entirely possible, but it is up to you to decide if you can live without surround speakers. I couldn't :)

memphisuklf said:
I know how to bi-amp the speakers. That's not what the problem is. Thanks for replying anyway. Thinking of just bi-amping the front speakers, and leaving the backs. Would that be possible?

No, I didn't mean not attaching them. just not bi-wiring them.

You can have the fronts biamped and the rears as single cables with no problems.

You can have the fronts biamped and the rears as single cables with no problems.

That's what i was trying to get at. My front speakers are bi-amped through the rear surrounds on the amp and am using bi-wire for the surrounds(2x hf, 2x lf). If I bridge the rears and use single wire to connect these will I lose much clarity in the surrounds or would it not be noticeable?

Sorry for the noob questions, its been a while since I messed with it all.

There will be no loss of clarity or sound quality from the rears if you change to a single cable of reasonable size. Just get some 2.5mm oxygen free copper cable for the rears and you will be fine.

PSM1 said:
There will be no loss of clarity or sound quality from the rears if you change to a single cable of reasonable size. Just get some 2.5mm oxygen free copper cable for the rears and you will be fine.

Thanks for the info

On a separate note, do you think it will be fine for surrounds to be placed on back wall about 4 feet behind seating area. They will be about 8 - 10 feet apart.
Currently have them on side wall but just concerned about the distance between seating area and speakers.

The rears should be fine 4 foot back. In fact it will give distance for the sound to disperse which is ideal. You do not want rear speakers right next to your ears since you want a dispersed sound.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom