1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi wire speakers for Cambridge AV receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by scottyfox, Sep 24, 2004.

1. scottyfox

scottyfox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello, i have qed silver an cable with bi wire facilty on my mordaunt short speakers. I have the cambridge azur 540 r reciever, but there is not enought holes for the connections, lol.

What can i do?

needless to say i am new to the game, apologies for my ignorance!!!

any advice would be appriciated.

scottyfox

2. Vodder

Vodder
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As I understand it you your amp doesn't have separate connections for bi-wiring then you just feed both sets of cable into the single plug.

3. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    Fret not sir, all is not lost.

In order to biwire your MSs, you need to have only two plugs at the amp end of each speaker cable with two runs of cable into each plug, and four plugs at the speaker end, with only one run in each. Hard to explain maybe without a picture, but you're making a Y configuration so that one plug goes out to two plugs. Or, if you have bare wire cable with no plugs, just wrap the ends of two + cables round each of the red terminals and two - cables round the blacks, and then one + to each red on the speaker, and likewise with the black. DO NOT LEAVE IN THE JUMPER BARS THAT CONNECT THE SPEAER TERMINALS ON THE SPEAKER!!! YOU WILL BLOW UP YOUR AMP!!! :suicide:

AMP (+) o-<=========8 (+) SPEAKER
    (-) o-<=========8 (-)

Hope that makes sense. Maybe someone else can explain it better.

Mike

4. scottyfox

scottyfox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    what are the jumper bars?

5. michael.redfern

michael.redfern

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +91
    A very good question. I've not seen the back of your speakers, so I'm only guessing here, but usually, the terminals are joined by a small piece of metal, so that the two reds are linked, as are the two blacks. This is so that if you only want to single wire them, you just use a single run and stick it into either set. However, if you do biwire, then you'll be using the terminals independently, and will not therefore be using this piece of metal. If it is there, you must remove it otherwise you'll short you amp and potentially fry it. Usually the terminals unscrew slightly so you can slip it out from under them. Keep hold of it for future use/sale.

6. scottyfox

scottyfox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    many thanks kind sir!