Bi Wire Speaker Cable

jono1956

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I wonder if someone could advise me please. I have bought bi wire Speaker cable, there is no indication of positive and negative, does it matter what 2 cables go into the red and what 2 go into the black connectors? Many Thanks...John

yes and no

it matters that whatever wire you use for + must got to + on the other end and the same goes for negative but which physical wire you use to achieve this isn't important as long as you remember which wire is + and which is -

Virtually ALL speaker wire is marked, some are just marked very subtly. One of the wire will have a stripe, or one or more molded ridges, or it will have writing that can be printed or embossed into the insulation. You can choose to have that marked wire Positive (red) or Negative (black) as long as once you make that decision, you are always consistent with it. I choose to have the marked wire be Positive (red).

I think if you look closely, you will see something on one wire that is not on the other so you can tell the wires apart. I think I can guarantee that with 99.9% certainty.

As has been said, as long as the Red on the Amp, connects to the Red on the Speakers, and black to black, you will be fine.

Steve/bluewizard

Many Thanks Guys, really appreciate your responses...

Many Thanks Guys, really appreciate your responses...
Did you find markings on your existing cable?

Don't feel bad we've all be through this. I remember tracing speaker wire by hand to make sure both ends match. In one case we used a magic-marker and marked the speaker wire from beginning to end.

Then ... of course... we eventually figured out that all electrical cable has one wire marked. We saw the embossed printing and the molded ridges, we just didn't realize they meant anything.

Back then, there was no Internet were we could ask questions.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom