1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BI WIRE MY AMP

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mongo, Jul 20, 2001.

1. mongo

mongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    CAN I BI WIRE MY AMP IF I HAVE BIREBLE SPEAKERS???

I HAVE A E 07 AMP

??????

2. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mongo,

Yes you can bi-wire but improvements are hard to predict. I think it depends a lot on your speakers and your amp. My speakers are all bi-wired but the improvement was not dramatic just a slightly tighter bass. What speakers have you got ?

It's easier to do if you have two sets of speaker outputs (usually called A and B). If you do then you just need a run of bi-wire cable between the 2 outputs and the speakers.

If you only have one set of ouputs (not unusual) you need to common the + and - cables at the amp end so that a single output drives both speaker inputs. Be careful that you common the right cores (+and+, -and-)..

Use banana plugs if your amp/speaker connections will accept them.

Cheers
    Gary

3. mongo

mongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I HAVE THE AEGIS 3 FLOOR STANDERS E07 AMP

I THOUGHT THAT BANNA PLUGS CAUSE MORE REISTENCE AND THE SOUND I WORSE SO I WIRE THEM STRAGHT TO THE SPEAKERS

GET BACK
    THANKS

4. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Mango,

Actually, most hifi purists prefer banana plugs because it is claimed that bare wire in binding posts will oxidise which in turn degrades the signal.

Personally I am a bit sceptical about this.

I use plugs because it's easier to avoid small strands of wire causing shorts at the speaker and (more likely) at the amp...

Regards
    Gary

[ 20-07-2001: Message edited by: Gary Palmer ]

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can someone explain bi-wiring a little?
    i have a yamaha rx520 rds amp which has both a and b speaker outputs via binding posts, am i correct in thinking that its possible to use bi wireable speakers on this amp?
    if so how is it done?
    do i just wire the main speaker terminals to the a channel and the tweeters to the b channel?
    as u can probably tell, im a bit new to bi wiring ;)

6. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Torch,

Biwiring involves running two sets of speaker cable (four cores) to a speaker which is biwire capable (with two sets of terminals on the back of the speaker, 4 terminals in total).

The theory is that by splitting the tweeter and woofer (with each having it's own speaker cable back to the amp) it is possible to get better sound - ususally tighter bass and more detail.

To do this you first need to remove the jumpers that are connecting the + and the - terminals. On most speakers this is a metal jumper. This splits the tweeter from the woofer.

If you have an amp with A and B speaker outputs you can then connect as follows ;

A left - left tweeter
    B left - left woofer

A right - right tweeter
    B right - right woofer

Make sure that the polarity (+ and -) is correct. I.e. the red/+ terminal on the amp must go to the red/+ terminal on the speaker.

Also, make sure you don't mix up the left and right (left tweeter with right woofer). This is not easy to do with proper biwire cable but if you run twin sets of standard twin-core speaker cable it's quite easy to mix them up.

If the speaker does NOT have split crossovers (with 4 terminals, 2 red, 2 black) you can not biwire or biamp and using biwire cable is not much use (although you could parallel the cores to give a thicker cable).

If amp does not have A and B outputs you can still biwire. You have to common the +'s and the -'s at the amp end. I.e. the left tweeter + and the left woofer + both go to the amp left + output.

At a later date you can upgrade to biamping which means you are using a seperate power amp for each speaker driver.

Hope that makes some kind of sense.

On my first system which was a Yammie prologic integrated with B+W603's I thought biwiring was worth doing.. biamping definitely is.

Cheers
    Gary

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,017
    I once read that if you were using bare wire to a binding post, to us a good quality solder on the wire(only) to prevent oxidisation. Myself I use banana plus where ever possible.
    Biamping rules.

:cool: Ruby quartz shades

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanx garry and garret :D
    im a little more enlightened as to what biwiring is and how to go about it :)
    next step, some proper speakers and cable
    i was thinking of going for some tannoy mx3 floorstanders and some QED silver biwireable cable? good combo for a budget setup?
    was gonna match the mx3's to an mxc and mx1's for the rear

9. TJSMANGINA

TJSMANGINA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok i need some advice aswell lol.do i connect the A speaker out cable at the back of my amp to the top set of inputs at the back of the speakers an the b speaker outs at the back of the amp go into the bottom inputs on the speaker.i have a sont strdb830 ampan a set of b&w 602s2.an while im at it what do you think to biwiring the rears :)

10. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi TJSMANGINA (what a name !)

"do i connect the A speaker out cable at the back of my amp to the top set of inputs at the back of the speakers an the b speaker outs at the back of the amp go into the bottom inputs on the speaker."

You must make sure that the A left and the B left are the outputs you use on the left speaker. Doesn't really matter if A or B are used for the top or bottom (tweeter or woofer).

"what do you think to biwiring the rears"
    Depends on what the speakers are! Assuming B+W I doubt you'll hear much improvement. Worth a try though.

Gary

11. Gary Palmer

Gary Palmer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Torch,

"tannoy mx3 floorstanders and some QED silver biwireable cable"

Yes, should be a pretty good combo !

I'd definitley stick to the same brand and family of speakers all round if you can. Tonal changes from one brand to another can make the soundstage disjointed when sounds pan back to rear and left to right.

Cheers
    Gary

12. TJSMANGINA

TJSMANGINA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the name is a deuce bigalow thing lol :) oh an thanks for the advice mate i appreciate it :)