Bi-wire, how?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mandlebrot, Jan 20, 2002.

1. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am very new to this stuff and have read a lot of mags about the home hifi/cinema scene, all of them mention bi-wiring speakers for better sound but none actually explain how this is done.

I know how to bi-amp cause I read an article about that but how do I bi-wire?

I can guess that I run 2 cables wired to the seperate post on the speakers but then where do I put them at the amp end? Do I just wire them to the same output on the amp or to different outputs? If different outputs then which?

If I just wire them to the same binding post on the amp end, then what is the benefit of it cause surely each cable will just carry the same signal to the speaker?

Please be understanding, I am only a novice and want to learn. I have already asked a few friends but they don't know either and I would rather ask in hear than my local hifi shop.

:confused: :confused:

2. AndyF

AndyF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're correct about the speaker end. At the amplifier, you connect both cables to the same terminals.

What's the point? Well, wire isn't a perfect conductor. It has resistance, capacitance and inductance - the very things used in the speaker crossovers to ensure the right frequencies reach the right drivers, at the right levels. Using 2 cables will change the way all these things interact.

Will it make an audible difference? Will it be an improvemant? Only you can decide that.

FWIW, I've bi-wired my Mission M74s and I can't say it sounds any different. Then again, twenty odd years of LOUD music probably hasn't helped :D

Andy.

3. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can get better results if your amplifier has "A" and "B" terminals, you connect L/F to"A" and H/F to "B"

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You can only biwire if the speakers have two sets of terminals, one of which will carry the bass signal and the other the treble

As to whether it improves the sound - I don't know as I have never had biwireable speakers

5. mandlebrot

mandlebrot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the replies, So its has I'd guessed, just a shame the mags can't explain this now and then for beginners.

:)

6. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    The general thought on if it actualy makes a difference and the expence is NO. Sorry. You'll get some people saying different but if you ask the big boys theyll say get one good quality cable (Nordost as used in the HCC install.) Is better than two. This cable is made of several cores which acts the same as bi-wiring but without tha hastle of two lengths of cable.