1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bi-wire cable advice (and good price) please ?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by bedders, Oct 27, 2005.

1. bedders

bedders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm getting very close to installing my kit into new living room, and am now thinking about getting the speaker cables run in (under floor boards, cut-in up/down walls etc).

I usually goto Richer Sounds and get QED Silver Anniversary bi-wire cable, but having done a very rough estimate, I might need about 40-50m of cable, so think it cheaper to buy a roll instead.

Would anyone be able to recommend a good "bi-wire" capable cable that I can buy? And hopefully a good price!

The equipment i'm using is as follows:

Arcam AVR300 amp
    Mission 782/780/78C and 78D pi-polar rears

I use bananas to plug the cable in, but would prefer fully crimpt plugs if possile - what are good makes from a good source?

Many thanks for everyones advice and help.

2. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Make your own cables using either Cat5 network cable, or use Twin and Earth mains flex, damn sight cheaper than the QED and as good or better sound.

3. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    I use chord carnival for my fronts and QED silver micro for my rears (as its alot cheaper/m, but it does sound very good) i don't have mine bi-wired as the chord is thick enough and well designed not to need it.

I think buying expensive speaker cable all round would be a waste, but i can certainly recomend chord carnival, and the bi-wire version should also be good, it'd be about £10/m meter though (as the single version is £5.50/m) but if you can get hold of a reel it should work out cheaper. I should think a real would cost less than £500 which it might otherwise cost :eek: .