1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi wirable speaker question...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by fraggle, Jan 13, 2005.

1. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Hi all,

I was round my mates yesterday and he was demonstrating what his system sounded like when the power amp powering (what he thought) the bass driver was turned off. What it was actually powering was the bass AND mid drivers, with the other power amp powering just the tweeters. Which I thinks a bit odd???

In a speaker with bass/mid/tweeters thats bi-wirable, is it normal to have the bass by itself and the mid & tweeters connected to the other bi- terminals, or the bass/mid connected together and the tweeter by itself? (these were TDL speakers)

I've got tri-wirable speakers and have always connected mid & tweeter, my reasoning being that the bass unit has to move a lot more air, and move it further, hence requiring a lot more current to drive it, so putting that on its own amp will decrease interference between amps the best.

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    My P5's have a single connection for the tweeter and one for the mid and low freq.

3. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    If I was going to bi-amp a 3 way speaker I would run one amp to the bass and the other amp to the other 2 drivers

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Wouldn't that be tri-amping :p. Got no idea mate, but i'm sure the speakers have the binding posts connected to where they are for a reason, i.e. the speakers will sort it out when you bi-wire. So i think all you need if you want to biamp is two amps (not 3) and connect them as if you where bi-wireing, if you know what i mean.

5. Big Adam

Big Adam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Isn't this thread mixing up bi-wiring and bi-amping?

'Normal' = 1x amp channel --> one pair of wires
    Bi-wire = 1x amp channel --> two pairs of wires
    Bi-amp = 2x amp channel --> two pairs of wires (1 amp per pair)

6. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    You are indeed correct.

What I was asking was do people think its better for bi-wirable speakers with three drivers to *internally* have the treble & mid connected together (and bought out to one set of the bi-wirable binding posts) or mid & bass?

Personally I think treble & mid connected together (and this is how I've got my tri-wirable speakers connected) is best. TDL think different.

I was just suprised to find a speaker internally wired like the TDL was, I thought it might have been a mistake when they were built at the factory...!

7. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Maybe the treble needs a 'clean' line between it and the amp, maybe because the big woofers might create more electrical feedback and some how 'colour' the high frequencies. Just a theory, or otherwise maybe it's just easier to do it that way.

Also what are 4/ 3 1/2 way speakers, is the midrange divided into 2?

8. fraggle

fraggle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Not sure what you mean by 4/ 3 1/2 way speakers (had a google but can't find anything?)

I know some speakers have a passive bass cone in them (i.e they're not driven by a voice coil, they're just achousitcally linked to the active bass driver), so I'm guessing if it had treble/mid/active bass/passive bass drivers it might be called 4/3 way?

(very vague guess :) )