1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi, Tri & Di Pole differences help required

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by inzaman, Dec 15, 2003.

1. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Early next year i am probably looking to upgrade my rear speakers and wondered what the difference is between the above types, and are they worth the prices difference as some Di pole i have seen are about £300 :eek: more than bi pole etc, Thanks

2. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Bi and dipolar speakers have drive units facing away from the listener. This is to simulate the multi-speaker arrays found in cinemas and prevent a single point sound source at the rear (which some people don't like). So:

Bipoles have all drivers acting at the same time. This diffuses the sound to a degree, but retains some of the acuracy of a normal speaker (or monopole). These type of speakers can sometimes be labled "jack of all trades, but a master of none".

Dipoles have opposing drivers acting in opposite directions; so when the left hand driver is moving out, the right hand one is moving in. This creates a more diffuse, cinematic, sound feild at the expense of acuracy. Some people find dipolar speakers too "phasey" and distant. All THX Ultra rear speakers are dipolar and THX products are normally more expensive than none badged models. Perhaps this is why you are seing a price discrepancy?

Tripoles are dipolar speakers that have an extra speaker driver/s that act like a normal monopole speaker, i.e in unison with the other speakers in your rig. This type of speaker is trying to be the best of both worlds by offering this extra direct driver, rather than using a bipolar arangement and limiting the diffuse nature of the speaker.

Russell

3. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Russell, thanks a lot for the good description i now understand the differences. You are correct the dipolar ones that i saw were infact thx certified which is probably why they were £300 more. The Tripoles certainly sound like the ones to demo, thanks again.

4. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi inzaman
    Try and get a demo of the little m&k k-4 tripole i upgraded to this from from mission m7ds and it was well worth it the sound is a lot more enveloping than with the mission bi-poles and you can drive them pretty hard without them sounding harsh.
    Cheers Gonzo.

5. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    You can also look for speakers which can be switched between bi- and dipole mode.

6. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224
    How much are the K4 and where did you get them from if you don't mind me asking? I'm also thinkning of upgrading my M7DS. Thanks!

7. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Godfather,

I have the K4's as well. Very pleased indeed. RRP is £495 and this is what I paid. I got them from http://www.grahams.co.uk/portfolio/cinema_speakers.htm

I see you are in London so if you pop up to see them do call as you may need to make an appointment. Word of warning though, leave your credit card at home - they have some great kit in!

Dak

8. Dak

Dak
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Actually, I have a question about all tri/bi/di-poles:

They are obviously designed for AV use. How will they perform (as a style of product rather than individual comments on the K4's for eg) when I move to SACD / DVD-A?

Cheers
    Dak

9. inzaman

inzaman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +935
    Gonzo will do it is actually the M&K ones that took my fancy, thanks guys :smashin:

10. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Due a recent house move I had to change my Ruark Epilogus speakers to a type that would work flat on a rear wall with miniml overhang. In te end I settled for a pair of Monitor Audio BFX rears @ £199, which can easily be set for Di/Bi pole depending on position.
    I have mine in Bipole directly behing my sofa and was amazed how much more the sound fills the room compared with the Ruarks which were far to directional. Havent tried Bipole as I the daelers all reckon this works better for side wall mounting especially if used with centre rear.

11. Godfather

Godfather

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +224