• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes, well before 8am. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post.

Bi & Tri Amp Cyrus

Batfoon

Novice Member
Looking for some clarity regarding best set up to my Monitor Audio Silver RS8's.
I have an older set up and recently been given a Smart Power Amp.
Currently i have a CD8x, 8vs, PSX-R.
I've connected my 8vs to the Smart amp but currently not sure how best to connect the speakers. (From the speaker to the amp - 2 wires from the top terminals to the 8vs and the bottom terminals to the Smart amp.
Is this correct? Am i better off investing in another Smart amp and connect both speaker to these rather than the 8vs?
If anyone could do a simple drawing it would be much appreciated.
You have probably guess I'm a novice so terminology is lost on me.
Thanks in advance

337GUS

Depends, do you have 3 way speakers with 3 sets of binding posts? If so I would go 8vs to Treble, Smart to Mid and Smart to Bass. I always put the amp with most grunt on the Bass. I used to run a full Kef Ref surround system with MF Amps 308/3.2 - Tri Amped and Bi Amped.

You use the Chain outs from one Amp to the Pre Inputs on the next.

I do have a bunch of Cyrus in the Office bought during lockdown as I’d always fancied Cyrus kit, running X Powers in Mono mode.

Google - Horizontal and Vertical Bi Amping and Tri Amping.

Batfoon

Novice Member
Depends, do you have 3 way speakers with 3 sets of binding posts? If so I would go 8vs to Treble, Smart to Mid and Smart to Bass. I always put the amp with most grunt on the Bass. I used to run a full Kef Ref surround system with MF Amps 308/3.2 - Tri Amped and Bi Amped.

You use the Chain outs from one Amp to the Pre Inputs on the next.

I do have a bunch of Cyrus in the Office bought during lockdown as I’d always fancied Cyrus kit, running X Powers in Mono mode.

Google - Horizontal and Vertical Bi Amping and Tri Amping.
No. Just 4 posts. I wasn't sure if the sound would be any better if i put the speakers through the smarts rather than the 8vs.

337GUS

Depends on the speaker specs, if they are difficult to drive having a dedicated power amp can open up the soundstage and improve the sound, your RS8 are not hard to drive so you might not notice much benefit.

If I had the 8vs and 2 x Smarts I‘d use the 8vs as a pure Pre Amp and run a Smart per speaker In Mono mode and leave the speaker jumpers in place.

Otherwise removing the jumpers you could run a Smart to the Treble L/R and the other to the Bass L/R. Or a Smart per speaker for Treble and Bass.

Personally I wouldn’t buy another Smart, I’d sell the RS8, the Smart, add the money you were going to spend on another Smart and get some MA Golds.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom