1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-pole or not Bipole? That is the question...

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by MrJubbly, Dec 12, 2004.

1. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :lease: can somebody tell me whether or not I'd be better off with bi-poles or mono poles in my situation.

My listening position is directly against our back wall (18 ft in width) in the center. I am limited on space though on where I can place the rear speakers. They can go on either the back or side walls, but will have to go very close into the corners either way. Baring this in mind would bi-poles or mono-poles be best suited. If bi-poles, would they be better at the sides or on the rear?

Opinions appreciated.

Regards,

Jubbly

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    IMHO bi poles would be the best solution for you placed on the side walls. I have been in the saem situation as you and found bi poles the best solution:thumbsup:

3. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dfour,

Out of interest how far into the corner did you end up placing your surrounds. mine would have to be right in the corner. Will that be okay.

I see from your sig you are using Eltax HT2BPs. How do you find these?

Cheers,

Jubbly

4. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Im quite impressed with them but they are on the list to be internally upgraded with silver cabling and some internal bracing to see if it improves the sound.

If you can keep them a couple of feet away from the corner it would probably be the best way. Mine are placed about 3 feet from the corners and work superbly IMHO.

5. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, therein lies the problem :( . The speakers really would have to go almost into the corners (15cm away max) regardless of whether mounted on the side or back wall. Does this mean I should stick to monos afterall?

Regards,

Jubbly

6. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    I have gone bacck from a 7.1 (di-pole sides and direct rears) to a 5.1 system and have had a play with my di-poles and directs and have stuck with the di-poles.
    And I have put them in the corners through choice, the sound seems to wrap around the sides and back better than when placed in the recommened position on the side walls.

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    The only real way to do this is to play with your speakers and positioning and see what to your ears sounds the best :D

Hey Grizlaroc why do you change back to 5.1? Did you think having mono pole rears was the best solution at the time over using bipoles?

8. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    I moved house and left my Kef custom install speakers at the old property, thought that I would have a play around with 5.1 and 7.1 and in the end was happy with the di-poles in a 5.1 configuration.

9. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would the same apply to bi-poles as well I wonder? Also are your surrounds (BTW what are they?) in the corners on the back or side walls?

Regards,

Jubbly

10. MrJubbly

MrJubbly
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right in what you say. However, at the momment I am upgrading all speakers in my 5.1 setup. I'm not 100% decided yet, but I'm going for KEF Q7's front and Q9c centre. For the rears I need to decide whether or not I'm going bi-poles or monos. If I go for monos I'll probalby go for the KEF Qcompacts, which I can pick up when I make a special trek to order the other KEF speakers next week. If I go for bi-poles though (the KEF Q2DS are too big), then I will do more research before selecting them. My main concern at the moment though is could a bi-pole arrangement really work in my situation (i.e with the speakers more or less in the corners) and if so would the results be better than that of monos. Tis all a bit tricky :confused:

Regards,

Jubbly

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +617
    They are Kef 34ds from the THX reference range.

They are on stands at the moment so about 2 1/2 ft high off the ground, prefer this for dvd-a etc.
    Actually prefer the direct speakers for dvd-a but the di-poles work better for films at the moment.