1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-Polar Rears - better than standard?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by gargoyle, May 28, 2004.

1. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Whilst checking out some rear speakers, I came across some Eltax bi-polar rear surrounds which are substantially more expensive than standard rear surrounds, are there any owners out there who can tell me if these are a better solution to a surround setup or is it simply cosmetic?
    I currently use a pair of wharfdale 30.2's which I'v used and enjoyed since 95 and am thinking of upgrading.

2. Zone

Zone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,114
    Yes there's plenty of people on here that have Eltax Bi-Polars doing rear suround duty, myself included.

Nic Rhodes (Beekeeper) himself summed it up perfectly recently by saying they are very forgiving in where they are placed and are highly underrated!

Substantially more expensive than what though?

I believe RS were selling them at £49.99 a pair until recently! Bloody bargain ;)

3. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I have to agree with Zone. They are superb and great value for money. THX recommend the use of bipolars over standard firing surround speakers :smashin:
    Do a search for bipolar and you will find a thread about them and placement.

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    They tend to be less directional than normal surrounds meaning you have more options with placement.
    It's important to try and buy some surrounds that match your fronts sonically if possible (but not as important as the front three imo). Do wharfdale have some bi-polars that match your current fronts?

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,145
    My first setup was a purely monopole based system. When I started to play about with bipole/dipole speakers (having at that stage made no other changes) I was most impressed by the vast amount of extra rear effect I got from them- and this from a speaker that even made Mrs Tons happy because it didn't need stands. Now I'm on my THX dipoles (and the fact there still isn't much multichannel music worth buying) I'd be very reluctant to change back.

6. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    The problem with my setup is that the sofa is placed directly against the back wall meaning that the rear surrounds are more or less aimed directly at the listener from the immediate left/right above ear level - would bi-polar work in this enviroment or does it require plenty of 'rear' space to work?

7. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    No they are perfect in your situation. I have mine like that and they work better through the sound being bounced of the side walls.

8. gargoyle

gargoyle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for that snatch of info Dfour - it was exactly what I was looking for - With that in mind, I'll be paying richer sounds a visit next week - just got to find out where the monies coming from!! :rolleyes: