bi-amping

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by karlos82, Jun 3, 2008.

1. karlos82

karlos82
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :hiya: i've currently got an onkyo tx-sr875 and have my front speakers bi-wired so i'm only getting 5.1 not 7.1.
    i'm considering bi-amping so i can have 7.1 but still bi-wire front speakers.is it worth the hastle or shall i just keep 7.1 and not bi-wire my front speakers.
    looking at the cambridge audio 840a v2.
    any suggestions.

2. The Snake

The Snake
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Well i'm new here and you've confused the hell out of me.

If you bi-wire a speaker surely you use only one of your seven, the two (effectively four leads) leads to the speaker come from one (well two ie one + /- outputs). You still should be using only one channel, not wiring from two which this posts suggests.

:confused::confused::confused:

3. drashp

drashp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Time for a bit of research methinks!

4. drashp

drashp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20

I've also been toying with the idea of bi-amping my Onkyo 705 with an Arcam Alpha 8R I've got laying around. It has a processor mode so would make an ideal slave to the Onkyo - I recently flashed it up and it sounded wonderful (still!) with my Quad L-ites and would no doubt improve things.

Thing is the cabinet is already spaghetti junction (banana-plugged thankfully) and what with the amp having to fit in the cabinet but not near the Onkyo so all my interconnects are too short, then the re-plug (damned Arcam BFA plugs) and having to dig out another remote control as you'd always have to turn the amp on as well as the Onkyo (possible remote macro usage - I'd have to look into that, or maybe get a whizzo Pronto or the like). Just seems like so much hassle! I've beem enjoying what I have so much that it doesn't seem worthwhile at the moment.

I'd recommend un bi-amping for a while to see if you really notice a difference and also researching the 7.1 thing - seems unless you've got the room shape/size and seating arrangement to suit it can be easy to get wrong and ultimately less satisfying than 5.1.

In a nutshell - biamping will probably help, and the CA seems well liked (I've got an old CA CD4 SE myself, still in regular service) but only you know whether the hassle is worth it - it's a toss up between adding and fiddling or just swapping out for a more capable receiver. Upgadeitis can be a slippery slope ;)

5. Mark.Yudkin

Mark.Yudkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,503
    If I'm not mistaken the 705 has THX gain, whereas the CA 840a has a greater gain. Biamping with different gains means that the speaker receiving the greater gain will be louder by the gain difference, and the result will therefore sound awful. Biamping is best done using identical power amplification.

Biwiring is pointless unless the original speaker cable is too long and narrow, in which case doubling the condcting area will fix the problem. But if that's the case, buying adequate wire is a somwehat cheaper option. 1.5mm diameter is adequate in a domestic environment.

6. drashp

drashp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Wouldn't Audyssey sort that out? - main thing is to have a fixed, repeatable gain on the other amp, such as processor/AV mode rather than having to manually set a pot to a certain position.

x2 :thumbsup:

I inferred karlos82 actually had the speakers biamped not biwired as he says as he's using four channels on his amp for two speakers - he wants to biamp *and* have 7.1 - not poss. on a 875.

7. paulst10

paulst10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,665
    Moved from Speakers :smashin:

8. The Snake

The Snake
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    :confused:

9. drashp

drashp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Apologies - I re-read your post and see now that you were trying to differentiate between biwiring and biamping.

karlos82 is in fact biamping not biwiring - the 875 has seven amplified channels that can be set for a single channel per speaker or two channels *each* for the front pair (i.e. a separate channel for each tweeter/woofer of each front speaker) which gives a max. of 7 speakers or 5 speakers for the latter scheme.

So to biamp the front pair *and* have 7.1 you need 9 channels i.e. another stereo amp. As stereo amps, compared price for price with multichannel receivers, are given to be better quality it's normal to use a 2 zone/2 pair (i.e. 4 channel) stereo amp for the fronts and relegate the receiver to surround duties only - SL, SR, RL, RR and C (which leaves 2 channels free on the receiver for zone 2 duties). Or you could just use a 2 channel stereo amp and use that for the woofers on the front pair with the receiver being responsible for the tweeters still. When doing either scheme it's best to have an amp that has a fixed gain setting (sometimes called processor or AV mode) and have some means to ensure the gains from the receiver and stereo amp match.

HTH

Ash

10. The Snake

The Snake
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    :smashin:

11. karlos82

karlos82
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    :thumbsup: yeah that helps.
    thanx guys. :D

12. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,252
    Bi-amping with the 875 has improved the performance for me, particularly with Stereo playback.