1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bi-amping

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by cpark, Dec 5, 2001.

1. cpark

cpark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There has been talk recently using receivers as processors and adding power amps. I was considering adding a 5 channel (rotel 1075 or 1095) to my arcam avr 100 and possibly getting a dedicated processor at a later date.

My other upgrade option was bi-amping the front 3 channels with an arcam p85 3 channel amplifier (£600). What benefits would bi-amping give me and would the biamped system be better for 2 channel stereo?

Just interested to see if people have tried either of these and what others would do in my situation.

Comments appreciated
    Calum

2. Tracey

Tracey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have an AVR100 with an Alpha 10P3, I've got the front left, right and centre channels bi-amped. I think this sounds excellent in stereo much better than just the AVR100 on it's own.

In my opinion though, if you are thinking of getting a dedicated processor in the future you would be better off getting a 5 channel power amp, although unless you opt for something like a tag I don't know if you would get good stereo playback. I'm no expert, maybe someone who has tried these combinations can comment? I was tempted myself to go for a Rotel 5 channel power amp, but I've read reviews that say they're great for home cinema but don't rate them that highly for stereo playback.

3. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have Rotel, first added to an Onkyo receiver for the front channels, then to the TAG processor.

Lots of people use the Rotels with TAGs because they are such a good value for money, very good with music too...

One day I may afford a TAG amp, but I am not in a hurry...