1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-amping

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Stereo Steve, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I will shortly be moving into my new house and plan to utilise the 6 channel facility on my Rotel 1055 reciever. Problem is, it only has 5 amps in it so I need a seperate power amp for the centre back (it has a pre-out). Now, I can either buy a cheap stereo amp and bridge it or go for a more adventurous solution.

What I'm wondering is if I could get hold of a 5 channel power amp, say a Rotel 1075 etc. and use one channel for the rear back and the other 4 to bi-amp my mains. This would leave the centre and rear surrounds on the recievers amps for now but I'm planning to go for a pre-pro solution later at some stage anyway.

Is biamping possible with all 5 channel amps and how does one go about it? Do you just bridge the amps and hook a speaker out put to each post? Also, if this is the way to do it, can you bridge these amps into 2 pairs and a single?

Any help appreciated.

2. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bi amping is to send a identical input to two amps, i.e left and right on a stereo amp, then a seperate run of speaker cable to a single speaker that has bi-amp input, once you have removed the bridging bar.

Hope this helps

Rgds

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Seems to be a duplicate post...,so I'll delete the duplicate and reply here.

Bridging is only possible on amps specifically designed for the purpose,and trying it on those not suited to it,may well result in smoke and tears.

It is however easily possible to use 2 channels of the amps for biamping by using the same input from one channel of the processor to 2 channels of the amp using an appropraite phono adaptor plug.

If the Rotel is bridgeable(and I've not seen the 1075 used that way)then things are much simpler.

4. buns

buns
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I gather biamping would be a better use of resources than bridging.

If you were going to get a 5 channel amp to biamp 4 of the channels, make sure that the front centre isnt the one you leave single wired...... it is the one you should biamp first

ad

5. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It does look like a duplicate post, not sure why this happened, I didn't enter it twice.

Can I bi-amp by connecting one set of speaker posts to the terminals on my reciever and the other to the terminals on a power-amp, connected to that channels pre-out on the reciever, if that makes sense. So I get a Rotel 6x60w power amp and hook up the pre-out on the reciever to the power amp. Then run a speaker cable from the reciever to one set of posts and the a speaker cable from the power amp to the other set? Do this for fronts, centre and rears and just have the centre back powered by the single power amp cable.

Would this work and would I have level problems with the back centre being much quiter as it's the only one that is not bi-amped?

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    In theory there should be no problem,and practically speaking it may be the simplest way of doing it.

Do ensure that the power amp sections are of similar sensitivity,or you could find yourself with either bass or treble level mismatching,on a single speaker basis,which would be very difficult to deal with,and as has been mentioned before,ensure that the bridging connection(nothing to do with amp bridging,of course) between the speaker bass and treble inputs has been removed.

7. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    How would I find out about the sensitivity? I assume it would be in the tech specs somewhere?

All the bridging pieces are gone as I have bi-wire cable anyway. Also, do you foresee a problem with the centre back being quieter?

8. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Input sensitivities should be mentioned in your amp/receiver's manuals(NB its the power amp input sensitivities you want)and assuming it's an all-Rotel system,it's very likely that they will match pretty closely.

As to the rear centre speaker,there should be no level matching problems,as you'll need to adjust the levels via the receiver's setup program in any case after all this!