1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-amping with two P35's

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by Timmy C, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I just bought a second P35 to bi-amp my speakers but don't know which way will give the better sound. I can either set it up the way I've recently been bi-amping with my P25, using one amp for high frequency and one for low but according to the manual I can use the supplied links to turn each amp into mono and use one for each speaker.

One of the P35's is still with Arcam getting repaired (I hope!) so I can't try anything yet but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.

2. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    IMO, fit the mono links, then any inter-channel crosstalk will not be an issue.

Regards,
    Ian

3. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    I was hoping someone was gonna suggest that was the better way as it will only need half the cable!

4. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    This will also be the most powerful option, since each amplifier is only loaded with one channel (either L or R) of bass driver. Bass frequencies consume most power and cause the PSU voltage to 'droop'; with only one channel of bass per P35, each P35's PSU will droop less meaning more power output is available.

Regards,
    Ian

5. stevos

stevos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +538
    Timmy have you tried adding your new P35 to your current P25 + Cxx (can't remember which one you had)?

What difference does it make to the sound, is it worth the money?

If you are considering selling your p25, let me know.

I assume your P25 & Cxx is probably about as good as my A32 (Cxx better, P25 no so).

6. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    Thanks Ian. That makes sense. I just remembered one of the P35's is a three channel version. If I use them for movies is this likely to cause an uneven sound between the left and right channels when using them in mono mode. I'm not too clued up on how electronics work but I guess the three channel amp will be doing more work than the two channel one.

Stevos, I don't actually have either P35's here at the moment but I did notice a loss in quality when I took the P35 off and run the speakers with just the P25. To be honest I didn't give it much of a listen before adding my old 10p into the equation while waiting for my P35 to be repaired. I can't say for sure but I'm pretty certain you would very much appreciate the difference an extra P35 would make to the sound of your GR20's. As far as my P25 goes, I've also just bought a used A22 so I think I'll use the two together on my second system but if I decide to sell I'll let you know.

7. ihan

ihan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi Timmy,

You are right that the 3 channel amp will work the hardest (driving either L or R plus the centre channel speaker), but I doubt if you would notice any detrimental effect with movies - I doubt if you would notice the slight reduction in power available on the 3rd channel amplifier.

Regards,
    Ian

8. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    That's ok then. I guess if it was that bad I could always get a third channel fitted to the other P35 to even the balance!