1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-amping with different amplifiers

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by NicolasB, Aug 14, 2003.

1. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    As you may know I currently possess some B&W Nautilus 803s, a Bryston 9B-ST amp and a Bryston 4B-ST amp. So far I've had the 803s hooked up to the 9B-ST, and it seems perfectly comfortable (bar going into thermal overload once - but this is probably forgiveable when the temperature outside the house is 37 degrees C in the shade). At some point I shall get around to hooking up my 4B-ST, and I was thinking about using the 4B-ST for the 803s, then bi-amping my eventual centre speaker with two channels of the 9B-ST.

But it occurred to me today that, with all Bryston amps designed to have the same gain, I could instead leave the centre single-amped, and then bi-amp the 803s using the 4B-ST to drive the bass driver in both speakers, and two channels of the 9B-ST to drive the mid-range and tweeters. Does this sound like a Really Bad Idea, or should I give it a shot?

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    If I had those bits of equipment I'd bi-amp the centre channel with the 9B and leave the 4B to run the front pair but then again I'm more movie orientated than music. How about another 4B and bi-amp the front pair as well? :D ;)

3. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nic,
    which HTM are you after, the 1 or the 2? I'd be wary of bi-amping 803s and then only single amping what is essentially the same set of drivers in a different cabinet, the sound might be dramatically different across the front.

Please ignore the above if I'm way off topic :D

4. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As Mudge says,I'd be wary of bi-amping these speakers...biwiring makes a huge difference,but I assume you're already doing that.

5. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    The 1. But the shape of the speaker cabinet has far more influence on its sound than the drivers do, and even if that weren't the case, the HTM1 uses a different bass driver from the 803 anyway. (Remember it's a modified 804, not 803).

Oh, and yes, I'm already biwiring, but only because my 803s have got some annoying plastic caps over the binding posts which I can't figure out how to take off and thus am unable to fit the shunt. :D

6. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    My 805's are biwired,using separate runs of Kimber 4TC for the treble and 8TC for the bass respectively.....I do agree that those plastic caps are a pain!...but full biwiring is a lot better than the wire shunts that B&W supply as standard.

7. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Sounds ideal to me.

I bi amped my KEF Ref 2's with Primare power amps and found a difference for sure.

A bit easier for me as I have essentially 8 identical channels of power.

In your situation, I'd definately try the 4B-ST on the front's bass with the 9B-ST driving the rest.

The centre won't lose out imho biamped with the 9B-ST.

I'm not convinced by biwiring as I can't say I've 'ever' heard a difference on speakers using that method.

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I'm not convinced by biwiring either, but it's a cheap way to halve the resistance of the cable if you end up with a slightly longer run than you'd anticipated.

9. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Guy...I think that biwiring is very speaker dependent....I've certainly found some that it made very little difference to,e.g.LinnKeilidh's,although converting those to active operation made a huge difference.
    Certainly with the 805's a number of people have commented on how much better they sound biwired,and it was certainly obvious here...even my wife(who usually doesnt notice)said how much clearer it was.

10. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The wierd thing with bi-wiring is that I can only think of one reason why it should work (skin depth in a conductor) and a fair number why it wouldn't.:confused:

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Same here....Kimber 8TC is heavy cable,and should have no problems with current capacity or skin effects(having lots of separate strands of differing guage)...but that's what we found....strange but true as they say!

12. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    If you want to remove the plastic bungs from the binding posts, enabling you to use banana plugs, use a corkscrew. Carefully, mind.

13. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    They're actually not bungs - transparent plastic that covers the whole of the binding post, but does allow a banana plug in. Something non-standard, I think.

14. lovegroova

lovegroova

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +304
    :blush: Oh yeah, I just checked my Sigs and they are the same. Have you consulted your dealer or go to B&W via their website as they may have the answer to the problem. It's probably something really simple.

15. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    What did you do in the end?

16. lowrider

lowrider
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am sure you have seen THIS before... :rolleyes:

As you can see above, biwire and biamping change the sound in some ways, not good, i´d say...:nono:

I wouldn´t biamp, unless with active xover... :lesson:

17. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    As I said on this thread earlier,the results are very dependent on the amp/speaker interaction,and either may work well with one combination,and not at all with another....it works very well indeed with the B&W/Krell combination I have,but equally so did not produce much difference with a somewhat earlier Linn Kelilidh/Krell combination a few years ago....changing to active operation for that speaker made a huge difference.