1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bi-amping with 2 Krell KAV-300i Amps?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by chez, Apr 21, 2003.

1. chez

chez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    I've got a Krell KAV-300i Integrated amp at the moment, driving my front left and right speakers (Ruark Prelude IIs).

This amp has an input which bypasses the pre-amp section and lets you use just the power amps.

I have seen another 300i for sale at a good price and wondered whether it would be worth adding a second one to bi-amp the speakers (taking the pre-out from one and feeding that into the pre-amp bypass on the second).

Would this make much difference to the sound quality?

Thanks
    Chez

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,674
    Interesting idea,and whilst I think the 300i is a nice amp,I think with it's reserves of power relative to your speaker's requirements and load characteristics,you may not get a huge gain in sound quality,merely more of the same.
    The problem really is that the only way to test this is to try it out,which would be a costly option if it doesn't provide the gain you wanted.

With lesser amps,bi-amping can sometimes be worthwhile,using 2 sets of amps to make up for power shortfalls in the first,but the 300i has always tested well,with substantial power reserves over the rated figures.

In my opinion the best way to raise the sound quality would be to upgrade the speakers,depending on budget.

3. dunkyboy

dunkyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    'Course, if you can get it secondhand, just go for it. Then if it doesn't make enough of a difference to have been worthwhile, just sell it on for what you payed for it (or more if you got a real bargain! :D )

Cheers,

Dunc